GX35 - Totally removing clutch?

4T4ME

Local time
5:29 PM
Hi i am a new user here. I have a stand up gas scooter with a gx35 motor.

I am looking to totally remove the clutch and just have a hard connected sprocket. I'm pretty sure the thing can be kickstarted and i really dont care about idling. I hate the nasty sound and vibration the clutch causes while engaging, as well as the sudden change in speed when it suddenly disengages when slowing down. Not needing to replace a clutch when it wears out is just a bonus.

My question is how could i go about this? I already took the clutch pads out to have a look. They bolt onto a carrier which spins around the crankshaft. I removed the bolt securing the carrier, but the carrier doesn't appear to come out without further disassembling. Is step one to remove this carrier so i can attach a shaft in it's place? If so, how can i remove it?

By the way, if i missed why this mod is a bad idea, please tell me why.

Last edited:
First off, it's not a bad idea, if you take certain precautions to safeguard your engine.

Weedwhackers sometimes become friction drive powerplants for motorized bicycles.

More than 90% are clutchless and without outboard support for their main shaft.

Many engines don't have a gravity clutch.
That's basically a hinged engine support, allowing it to be raised off the tire.

Then the engine can idle while at a stop.

If not, the engine shudders and dies, when the bike comes to a stop.

The engine protests mightily.

However, the fact is that there is no outboard support for the shaft.

That will literally snap the shaft or damage the crank.

If you want your engine to survive, either create a gravity clutch.

And/or fabricate an outboard shaft support.

If you don't have a gravity clutch, ya might as well remove the pull start too.

Last edited:
I think you're going to bend your rod coming to hard stops. You might be better off putting a few strips of tape on the clutch bell, keep it away from interfering with the side of course.

The gravity clutch can't happen because this is going to be chain drive.

What about spindle drive scooters like below? Isn't that kind of an unsupported shaft? It does rest on the tire, but it's also experiencing an upward force by being shoved into the tire for grip. Does that engine have no clutch and a bearing right on the edge or something?

Keep in mind, the shaft i want to make would only stick out a tiny bit unlike a spindle. I would also want to make a custom mount (it currently mounts using the outer clutch bracket), meaning the engine would be almost as tight to the wheel as the pic below (but with room for a chain). So the shaft just has to span the empty clutch cavity, and then stick out slightly. So maybe about 2-3 inches long roughly.
5425d1071380473-ot-bigfoot-goped-for-sale-616.jpg

Last edited:
This bike has a gravity clutch.

It’s an engineering miscue not to install an outboard bearing support.

In your case, you have sufficient room to install that outboard support.

Sprocket to sprocket won't work it would stall every time you try to stop and you'd have to kick like heck or push it downhill to get it running. https://www.ebay.com/i/112843426788?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
Plus clutches are pretty cheap if you have $10 and some change you could get it working like normal. The bell is probably $10 as well. You may as well get a weed wacker and attach it if you want direct drive. The engine is $250 new. You could probably sell it to someone on here and have them pay shipping too. Honda engines are made good I would repair it like normal or sell it. By "carrier" do you mean flywheel - it has fins and a circle shape? Here's the thing, I know by experience if you were to buy a 2 stroke motor that size it would vibrate far more and be louder overall. If you don't usually ride motorized scooters/bikes you might not be used to the experience. Don't really understand this post :/.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Sprocket to sprocket won't work it would stall every time you try to stop and you'd have to kick like heck or push it downhill to get it running. https://www.ebay.com/i/112843426788?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
Plus clutches are pretty cheap if you have $10 and some change you could get it working like normal. The bell is probably $10 as well. You may as well get a weed wacker and attach it if you want direct drive. The engine is $250 new. You could probably sell it to someone on here and have them pay shipping too. Honda engines are made good I would repair it like normal or sell it. By "carrier" do you mean flywheel - it has fins and a circle shape? Here's the thing, I know by experience if you were to buy a 2 stroke motor that size it would vibrate far more and be louder overall. If you don't usually ride motorized scooters/bikes you might not be used to the experience. Don't really understand this post :/.

I forgot he wanted to eliminate the clutch.

Heck, centrifugal clutches are GREAT, in my opinion.

It allows the engine to idle at a stop, or whenever you slack off the gas.

When my engine is at idle, it lowers my angst and blood pressure(bp).

When my engine is revving high, I'm anxious and my bp is high!

That little clutch noise that bothers you is minor, compared with the engine vibration.

Now THAT'S aggravating, I can tell you!:(

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If you gear it low enough to only go like 20 mph wide open, your clutch will like it a lot more than over gearing the hell out of it (under gearing i know i know lol) and not going any faster anyways.

Haven't seen that kit yet. That's a really good deal compared to the $550 or so staton chaindrive. I'm not sure why the staton gearbox is so beefy and the gear ratio stuff. The $89 one could easily be copied (ahem the american way). Would a belt drive trans work on that bracket?

Back