Harbor Freight 5.5HP OHV Vertical Shaft Engine?

99cc will get ya there, 212cc will get ya killed. Too much hp for a bicycle in my book.

99cc will get ya there, 212cc will get ya killed. Too much hp for a bicycle in my book.

Agreed, unless it's a race bike for use on the track.

50cc/2hp will get you there and it's what's legal in most states for street use, not that it seems like much of a concern anymore.

happy Valley

oh for me its a concern but thats why you have custom stickers made
not that it would work for the 212 cc motor tho..lol

5.5hp....? Really?
My 2hp old B&S engine takes me faster than I need to go on a Surrey with two riders on the flat. I am concidering to increase my rear sprocket to give it more torque on the hills and slow it down on the flats.

Now of course this is a personal opinion, and there is always a hundred ways to do something... I just keep in mind that this is a bicycle that was not made to have an engine and the main objective is to have the ability to cruise around populated places without bothering or scaring anyone (including me or my passengers). I have too many toys that have specific purposes to try and create one that competes with another that was not made to do so. Some of you in the forum need to concider buying a motorcycle... no really! Much safer and more reliable. However, if the goal is to have a fun project, and you have a passion to create something different... Do It, and don't listen to me!

Not to take sides, but the 212cc, while a monster the use on a bicycle, has been mounted at just about every conceivable angle other than the way it was designed for. The carburation and oiling "issues" have been overcome and are well documented.

With the round mouting flange it would make fitting it to the bike interesting, but not impossible. It might actually look good in a replica bike.

Just my $.02.

MHF

I was just looking at the manual for the Predator 173cc vert. shaft and if I'm not mistaken, mounting it so the crank is spinning the same direction as the tires going forward would put the exhaust port in front and the intake in back.....looking better all the time.:geek:

MHF

P.S. you could probably put the bottom the mounting flange below the bottom tube, ahead of the pedals.......maybe the output shaft too !

I have the HF 99 cc on a long frame bike I built. It cruises great. It is fully sprung. The take off is a little slow with the centriful clutch. I need a larger than 44 tooth sproket.Louis

Well sometimes its just the chalange of the thing. You can buy a new almost anything, but it ain't the same. The bad news is it's not going to work. I will need a cast iron flywheel. I may find one this summer. I have one of the 99cc HF motors on another bike I built. Good advise you give though. Louis

Back