Has anyone bought one of these?

markjs

Local time
3:51 AM

Wildcat Ultra Minarelli 6hp Race Engine

c944a5_02e0da34d2f54656815cee52b144852a~mv2.jpg

Just curious if anyone ever bought one? I could build one myself of course, but this price seems almost too good to be true, for the full engine?

Don't these need a heavier duty clutch? Is it like 2x the power of a regular PK80 Wildcat kit? I must admit I am lusting after one! Looks like I'd need to purchase a reed valve to go with it. IDK if those can be run without one?

Anyway, very curious, mostly about this specific engine. Seems like to me this would maybe be worthy of all the hassle of a jackshaft and buying a Sturmley Archer internal 5 speed hub. I'd really feel like I was pushing it to run a cassette and derailleur with that much power, but a larger chain with an internal hub might work well!

Just curious if anyone ever bought one? I could build one myself of course, but this price seems almost too good to be true, for the full engine?

Don't these need a heavier duty clutch? Is it like 2x the power of a regular PK80 Wildcat kit? I must admit I am lusting after one! Looks like I'd need to purchase a reed valve to go with it. IDK if those can be run without one?

Anyway, very curious, mostly about this specific engine. Seems like to me this would maybe be worthy of all the hassle of a jackshaft and buying a Sturmley Archer internal 5 speed hub. I'd really feel like I was pushing it to run a cassette and derailleur with that much power, but a larger chain with an internal hub might work well!
Well, you better hurry up and grenade the one you just built then.

Do you have a link to that one? I have a customer looking for something like that.

How much is that? I know there is a pre built one on Amazon gor 500+ dollars. The Amazon one is a full kit with all the other parts though

The more speeds in an IGH the smaller the components have to be. Meaning the greater the chance is for a failure. A 3 speed IGH would be the better choice with that much HP.

I run a 7 speed 34-13 freewheel and use a triple chainring shift kit. I created a color (red, yellow, green) coded left hand shifting system. This way the 21 shifting combinations are organized into 9 sequential ratios. The system therefore eliminates cross chaining. I also shift with a tachometer this way I'm always in the correct gear and not in too high of a gear going up a steep hill.

1691464961960.png

Through a series trail and error I've also found the bicycle drive components that are the strongest ones to use.

Since you use a cassette instead of a freewheel??? You could reduce the number of cogs. I once built a 4 speed freewheel using cogs (34,28,22,16). Yes that's 666 on the jumps between the cogs. If you got the components in the thread I posted along with modifying your cassette to a 4 speed it'll handle that engine much better than a 5 speed IGH would.

I'm not sure gears would be worth the trouble. Could be that has enough power without. I just fear the chain being a weak link with a cassette. The drive chain on our china doll engines is bigger than a 1 speed chain for a reason.

Is there an actual CVT transmission can be had for these? I mean I've seen simple torque converters, but is there one that actually changes the ratio to match RPMs, that could be adapted?

Back