Help!! I don't know what to do!

JaredL

Local time
9:58 AM
Hi, I am a beginner to all of this kind of stuff, so excuse me if I have to describe what something is if I don't know the name.

So I bought my bike off a guy who builds bikes for a living (he has done it for 8 years so he knows what he is doing). I texted him about this issue and he doesn't know what it directly is either.

This is everything that I'm having issues with:

The bike is a 80cc 2 stroke that runs on a 20:1 ratio (91 Fuel : 2 Stroke Engine Oil)

It worked fine for the first few weeks. It has around 70-80 miles on it. In the past few days, I can ride it, but at any random time (never got it over 20 minutes) it will stutter when I hold the throttle, but when I hold the clutch, the engine goes for throttle. When I get it to stop, sometimes the rear tire will drag. Sometimes it wont, maybe a coincidence.

The gas tube between the tank and the engine just started slightly leaking out the top.

It takes about 200-500 feet to start, it always has.

Again, I'm a beginner, so please describe the best you can. I just need help!

Thank you,
JaredL

He's been building these for years and doesn't know they aren't 80 cc and can't diagnose something simple , I'd say he's a liar , anyway back to the problem when you initially start e engine it idles fine? Or does it rev up straight away? Tighten the clamp holding the carb on also check the tightness or all nuts and bolts .

seems that you should have him look at it - things get loose and out of adjustment when a bike is new - 20:1 is usually only for the first tank or two of fuel, with 32:1 used thereafter (91 octane usually isn't needed either)

Ya I think he was lying, some of the things didn't add up.

Anyways, I'll try those recommendations for sure. I actually read similar problems and most said the spark plug or gasket could have something to do with it.

Before this all happened, my gas cap flew off the tank and into the road. I retrieved it, but missing the gasket. Auto Parts didn't have the gasket we were looking for, but we bought a bigger one and crafted it.

There are pictures of the new gasket and the choke attached to this comment

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 227
if that gasket is blocking vent hole in cap, you may need to drill another one

How do I straighten/tighten the carb, and what exactly is the carb?

Oh my.....

The first and last picture is the carb. Also known as a carburetor, and also known as 80% of the engine problems you'll ever experience. Get used to looking at it a lot.

To straighten you might have no option but to get an offset intake manifold. It would. Appear you have it at an angle because the top and cable are in the way of the bike frame. You can either cut a big section out of the frame which I don't recommend or get an offset manifold, which will put the carb off to the right and keep the cables out from touching the bike frame. It makes it easier to adjust the carb too since you don't have to dingle with it to get to the parts.

Off sets are pretty cheap, like 7 bucks top, this just lets you have an even float and bowl on the carb, which if off centered can affect how much has you get or not get when using the motor. This can create plenty of stupid problems that seem like other problems and cause you to tune wrongly and eventually decide to kill people.

Don't be a people killer and even out your carburetor.

So basically my issue is that the carb is touching wires it should be touching?

Back