Tubes HEY! You need air in that tire!

OK Stupid question time. Years back, (many many years) when I was still riding non-motorized bikes, they had just come out with a foam tire with no tube that could never go flat as it held no air. It used to come in various stiffness levels and was reasonably priced. Now, this was way back in the early 70's so my question is....is this tire still around? I would hope that with advances in materials science, we would have even more choices of this type of product. It was available in colors as well if I remember right.

This might be a great option for us friction drive guys.

Bill

Still around. Some people have tried it. Some like them, some don't. I think the they are called "No Mor Flats" or something like that.

I saw some at Walmart made by bell.
But I think they are kinda hoky...
A gimmic... too much resistance...
you can bullet proof your tires and not worry about them again..
put 50 psi in and roll !!!!!
Kevlar tires, slime tubes, electrical tape 3 times around rim, also rubber strip around rim, and tuffy tire liners.. correct airpressure at all times. no more tire problems, At least I have had good luck with this method.

Okay. I weigh in at 280 right now and the other day this older dude was admiring Cronus as I stopped at the Ace Hardware and thought I needed air in my rear tire because it looked flat when I was riding.
I had pumped it up to 32 psi and ride it this way for miles and miles.
The thing is though is that I rather would like to see my tire not look so flat even though on my end it's rather okay.
So do Bicycle tires really designed for people less than 200 pounds here or should I chance a blowout by putting in some more air?...
There's a number of factors here:
-280 lbs is not too heavy for normal bike tires. I weigh ~270 and the MB I have weighs ~100 lbs itself, and about two-thirds of the total weight is on the rear wheel. The usual inflation pressures are 40 PSI rear and 22 PSI front. The cheap white Kenda tires at 40 PSI have held up fine. The rear tire does bulge out a bit when I'm on the bike, but tires are supposed to sag under a load.

-Cheap tires are not made to as tight of tolerances, and will tend to pop off of rims if the tire pressure is too high.
-Cheap rims are not made as strong, and will spread more, allowing tires to pop off easier.

-Wide rims will provide a much wider area to distribute load over. Most non-cruiser bicycles now come with rims around an inch wide, and that's too narrow for MB use. Cruiser bicycles come with wider rims, but they are usually single-wall, which is the weakest type, so you can't inflate tires very high on them without risking pop-offs. But the thing here is that because of the wider contact patch that the wider rims provide, they don't need to be inflated to high pressures. 40 PSI should be plenty for the tire to easily hold 300+ lbs.

Basically put--generally for any bicycle, but especially for motorized bicycles--you want the widest rims you can get. The Worksman regular (steel) rims are fairly wide, they are over 1-1/2" wide but the edges are rolled so the inside width is not as great as it would be with extruded aluminum rims. There's a number of "downhill" MTB rims that approach one and a half inch widths; if you have a rear wheel specially-built anyway, get a decent rim on the rear. Ask the bicycle shop what kinds of "downhill-MTB" rims they can get and start asking about the widest ones they can get, and work on down until there's one you can afford.

----------

MTB bicycles today are very-commonly fitted with rims that are far too narrow. The bicycle companies did this to reduce weight, but it drove tire pressures way upwards, and is of no benefit at all (this is stated even on the Sheldon Brown website). Ideally, your rims should be almost as wide as the tires your running.

In the 1970's, road-racing bikes had tires about 1.25 inches wide and rims around an inch wide,,, and MTBs had tires about 2.25 inches wide and rims about 1.75 inches wide. Nowadays, both road bikes and MTBs come with rims around an inch wide, even though the tire widths are the same.
One of these things is WRONG.
If you look at other vehicles.... cars, motorcycles, ATVs, anything else, nobody, nobody, nobody EVER tries to mount a 12-inch wide tire on the same-width rim as a six-inch wide tire. It is assumed by anyone with a brain that if the tire is wider, that the rim needs to be wider also. And yet, people think for bicycles that's correct, because that's the way the bicycles come when you go look at them at the bike store.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a number of factors here:
-280 lbs is not too heavy for normal bike tires. I weigh ~270 and the MB I have weighs ~100 lbs itself, and about two-thirds of the total weight is on the rear wheel. The usual inflation pressures are 40 PSI rear and 22 PSI front. The cheap white Kenda tires at 40 PSI have held up fine. The rear tire does bulge out a bit when I'm on the bike, but tires are supposed to sag under a load.

-Cheap tires are not made to as tight of tolerances, and will tend to pop off of rims if the tire pressure is too high.
-Cheap rims are not made as strong, and will spread more, allowing tires to pop off easier.

-Wide rims will provide a much wider area to distribute load over. Most non-cruiser bicycles now come with rims around an inch wide, and that's too narrow for MB use. Cruiser bicycles come with wider rims, but they are usually single-wall, which is the weakest type, so you can't inflate tires very high on them without risking pop-offs. But the thing here is that because of the wider contact patch that the wider rims provide, they don't need to be inflated to high pressures. 40 PSI should be plenty for the tire to easily hold 300+ lbs.

Basically put--generally for any bicycle, but especially for motorized bicycles--you want the widest rims you can get. The Worksman regular (steel) rims are fairly wide, they are over 1-1/2" wide but the edges are rolled so the inside width is not as great as it would be with extruded aluminum rims. There's a number of "downhill" MTB rims that approach one and a half inch widths; if you have a rear wheel specially-built anyway, get a decent rim on the rear. Ask the bicycle shop what kinds of "downhill-MTB" rims they can get and start asking about the widest ones they can get, and work on down until there's one you can afford.

----------

MTB bicycles today are very-commonly fitted with rims that are far too narrow. The bicycle companies did this to reduce weight, but it drove tire pressures way upwards, and is of no benefit at all (this is stated even on the Sheldon Brown website). Ideally, your rims should be almost as wide as the tires your running.

In the 1970's, road-racing bikes had tires about 1.25 inches wide and rims around an inch wide,,, and MTBs had tires about 2.25 inches wide and rims about 1.75 inches wide. Nowadays, both road bikes and MTBs come with rims around an inch wide, even though the tire widths are the same.
One of these things is WRONG.
If you look at other vehicles.... cars, motorcycles, ATVs, anything else, nobody, nobody, nobody EVER tries to mount a 12-inch wide tire on the same-width rim as a six-inch wide tire. It is assumed by anyone with a brain that if the tire is wider, that the rim needs to be wider also. And yet, people think for bicycles that's correct, because that's the way the bicycles come when you go look at them at the bike store.
~

The width of a rim does not make it stronger, If your buying a rim get 1 double walled they are 10 time stronger than std rims regardless of width.

Ive said this before, if you have tyres that the max psi is 40 get new one's
that can take 60psi minimum!!

How do you steer with 22psi?

The width of a rim does not make it stronger, If your buying a rim get 1 double walled they are 10 time stronger than std rims regardless of width.
A lot of people use cheap department-store bikes for motorizing, and yet very few people have problems specific to the rims on these bikes. Stronger rims don't improve the ride quality, but wider rims and tires at lower pressures do.

How do you steer with 22psi?
I arrived at that pressure by testing.
If your front tire pressure is too low, it will make noise when turning--either squeaking noises on smooth asphalt, or grinding/slipping noises when turning on smooth pavement. I started with it at 32 psi and kept lowering it until it sounded bad turning, then pumped it up a couple of PSI more.
~

A lot of people use cheap department-store bikes for motorizing, and yet very few people have problems specific to the rims on these bikes. Stronger rims don't improve the ride quality, but wider rims and tires at lower pressures do.

I arrived at that pressure by testing.
If your front tire pressure is too low, it will make noise when turning--either squeaking noises on smooth asphalt, or grinding/slipping noises when turning on smooth pavement. I started with it at 32 psi and kept lowering it until it sounded bad turning, then pumped it up a couple of PSI more.
~

I assume you ride a cruiser, no suspension i guess you'd want the widest
rims available then, but never has low tyre pressures been a better ride quality for me, i guess for me with the lack of power from these motors max psi aids rolling resistance
22psi is downright dangerous if you weigh anything over 40kg or 88 lbs!!
If so the centre tread would be flat and tear the side walls to shreads
would induce punctures and can rip the tyre off the rim.
Any tyre that the max psi is 40 would be struggleing at that setting

For me! 60psi front and rear, me and bike weight 185 lbs combined.

A narrow rim with a wide tire isn't a good combination, regardless of the strength (or lack) of the rim - you have a lot more stress on the tire sidewalls near the bead with a narrow wheel/wide tire combo. It's possible for the tire to come unseated with hard cornering. Matching the wheel width to the tire width more closely reduces the stress on the tire.

Likewise, running low tire pressures increase the stress on the tire sidewalls, especially when cornering. By increasing the tire pressure to a value closer to the limits, you reduce the sidewall stress and friction losses in the tire, and lower the chances of premature tire failure.

If the concern is the harsh ride, add a suspension seatpost. That way, you'll have a smoother ride, but won't be stressing the sidewalls as much.

If you have seen the Schwinn OCC chopper bike up close, you have seen that it has a 4.5" wide rear tire.... And also a curiously-wide rear rim. Why do you think they went to the trouble of making that special rim? Why not just slap that super-wide tire on a regular-width rim?

Also, what do you think the max inflation pressure for that tire is? 60 PSI? 80 PSI perhaps?.....
~

If you have seen the Schwinn OCC chopper bike up close, you have seen that it has a 4.5" wide rear tire.... And also a curiously-wide rear rim. Why do you think they went to the trouble of making that special rim? Why not just slap that super-wide tire on a regular-width rim?

Also, what do you think the max inflation pressure for that tire is? 60 PSI? 80 PSI perhaps?.....
~

Firstly i agree that a wider rim with a wide tyre is optimal but i think your missing the point regular bicycle tyres now days are made with the understanding that the rims are thinner than years ago.
Manufactures didnt just decide 1 day to make the rims thinner.
i remember my old bmx bike had fat rims, i also remember my tyre wasn't round! more a streched halvemoon.
My mb has 1 inch rims wraped with 2inch Serfas Drifters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back