Homemade 4-Stroke Single

A friend of mine has one of those Timeless bikes and I got to ride it. My impression was that it was bigger and heavier than I would have thought. Plus it was so "vague" in how things worked. Now that might just be how things were way back when but with the myriad of adjustments (ignition advance, carb adjustments, clutch handle, etc) and controls, the throttle just never seemed even "connected" with the motor. It also seemed funny, although it probably shouldn't have, but the only brakes were on the rear wheel and even then they were just coaster-type brakes: back pedal to stop. I hope you have good luck on getting parts from them, though. Can't you use a Whizzer sheave? or is it different than the Timeless. Oh yeah, leather belt vs. fan belt.

You got to ride a Timeless wow. They are a replica of a 1910 Harley, so what you were experiencing was what it took to ride a bike back then. I like the complexity and the fact that you have to be mindful of all the facts and one might be that you have poor brakes. I would like to see one of the fella's in this forum put together a very period looking complete bike. If I had the wherewithal I would be riding a Timeless, a real Harley sells for about half a million dollars. Mike has an outfit that looks good and has the flair of the early bike, but it is just missing something. Have fun, Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Boogerballs, that guys motor looks WAY COOL.Would like to see more pics!
And EGOR, that hit and miss is very impressive. Would like to see a video of it running...WITH SOUND!

I have an Idea that the crank we need is from a Honda XL350 it is large enough that I think it has enough flywheel that it would not need an external one, more like the early bikes. Although I do like the look. It has a larger stroke but I think that makes for more torque. I have some drawings I made up a few years ago but I can't locate them. I am working on some sketches of a break down for my engine Idea, when I get them done I will post. I would like to see someone build it. My financial Gain dept. is out of order so it will be a while waiting for funds. I want to use two front wheel assemblies from the same Honda, I would use them at both ends (21" with straight rib front tires). It needs the springer from the old Indian, the one with the leaf spring out the front. And the frame style that Helmutt is using. I think all could be hand made by a good fabricator. I sent a message off to Timeless and got a response, "they do offer components but they would not be cheep". I think I will ask them what a set of crankcases would be. have fun, Dave

How to use a single lobe cam. I like the looks of the automatic inlet but it does limit the engines power. Have fun Dave

Attachments

• PICT0065.jpg
    PICT0065.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,044
Clever little setup using just one lobe. Definitely a nice way to keep things narrow. Plus somebody has already done the engineering for the setup to be able to copy. Yes, the automatic inlet does limit the engine power but do you really want the full horsepower that that engine size could put out? You'll probably have to limit the power somehow. Smaller exhaust, smaller intake/carb, something.

How's your engine coming along?

Back