How Can I mod this air filter to work?

Kpi890

Local time
9:11 PM
I just picked up this “breather filter” from autozone today for $12 because it looked like a perfect size for my two stroke china chick! It’s about 7/8” at the small end opening so I thought I could ream it open larger to fit the outside diameter of the carb, place a silicon gasket on it and drill two holes for bolts the same space as the current air filter and put longer bolts through it. Then I got to thinking how can I ream it out with a dremel or something when all the metal shavings and junk would be falling inside the air filter and I’d never get them all out of there and eventually would suck some of it up into my engine. The filter is set into the chrome with some sort of adhesive glue so I don’t believe there’s anyway I can free it up on one end. Any ideas on how I could modify this to fit my stock NT Speed carb? Thanks!

Ps- the small black gasket next to it in the photos came with it, I believe it’s a press fit filter.

Attachments

• A0B331F6-70F5-4D4C-AF72-C6980732CEEB.jpeg
    A0B331F6-70F5-4D4C-AF72-C6980732CEEB.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 184
  • A3B978E6-9B94-4303-A838-B49EB2948D29.jpeg
    A3B978E6-9B94-4303-A838-B49EB2948D29.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 164
  • B6D665F4-F35F-4DDD-A38C-7BC9A5756E8C.jpeg
    B6D665F4-F35F-4DDD-A38C-7BC9A5756E8C.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 187
You purchased a valve cover breather..the only performance filter I've heard that works on the stock carb is from sickbikes...they run$11 plus shipping if I recall right....the back side of the filter shown is open large enough to fit around the stock carb and of course bolts in place.
Eco-AF__07922.1477519916.500.750.jpg

You purchased a valve cover breather..the only performance filter I've heard that works on the stock carb is from sickbikes...they run$11 plus shipping if I recall right....the back side of the filter shown is open large enough to fit around the stock carb and of course bolts in place.
View attachment 80162
Right I’ve seen that but I figured there would be a way I could modify this one for the time being just to try it out... I dunno just messing around with it might be fun I thought.

IMG000038446.jpg

images (1).jpg

If you can find the right adapter, you could maybe make that smaller OD to fit into your filter.
But I think the easily carved plastic one (top), which I use, is cut out too much on the inside already so you couldn't make it that much smaller. The OD is 42mm, IIRC, and the ID of the wider part is a good fit on the stock NT carb.

View attachment 80168
View attachment 80169
If you can find the right adapter, you could maybe make that smaller OD to fit into your filter.
But I think the easily carved plastic one (top), which I use, is cut out too much on the inside already so you couldn't make it that much smaller. The OD is 42mm, IIRC, and the ID of the wider part is a good fit on the stock NT carb.
Oh I could definitely adapt it to fit if I leave that smaller OD just as is I just didn’t know if that 7/8” size was choking the air down... as weird as it is if I put the filter in my mouth and breath in it seems like it would have plenty of airflow for that carb haha, true scientific testing there. I have a JET lathe I use to make duck and goose calls for a side company I own so I’m considering finding a plastic/polymer that is fuel/oil resistant and starting to make my own parts. Turning aluminum on a wood lathe is kinda tricky especially if I have to hog out a lot of material from a piece of stock. I bet I could use s silicone funnel and some SS zip ties or hose clamps and be able to adapt this breather filter to the NT carb.

7/8 of an inch is 22mm...it's far from choking down what the 16mm carb will provide.

7/8 of an inch is 22mm...it's far from choking down what the 16mm carb will provide.
Okay awesome then I’ll just leave it as it and find some hose/tubing of some kind to adapt it to the current air filter opening... might now be pretty for the time being but as a prototype I can see if it works!

This is my prototype stock NT carb.

From this
IMG_20171014_114847.jpg

IMG_20171020_221240.jpg

Still figuring out what I'm going to do with the stock air filter cover.

This is my prototype stock NT carb.

From this
View attachment 80174
View attachment 80173

Still figuring out what I'm going to do with the stock air filter cover.
Yea I really like that design! Have you tested to see if it has improved the flow yet? And I’m assuming you’ve just done away with choking it in general? Keep me posted how you end up attaching an air filter to it!

Hasn't been tested yet..my build is a slow process and I'm in no hurry really.

I'm working on some things for the stock air box but otherwise it should attach as it did stock and yea no choke function..may be difficult to start in the cold but it's not hard to solve when it comes time.

Last edited:
Back