Chain Tensioner How much of a deathtrap is my chain tensioner setup? (Standard issue Chinesium)

apsci

Local time
8:41 AM
Hello all,

I am using the tensioner that came stock with the engine kit. The tube on my bike is non-standard, tightening the bolts would make the tensioner angle toward the wheel spokes, so I have lodged a twig to stop it from doing that, see image.

Will this kill me? I routinely check that those bolts are tight. Also plan on adding loctite. I don't travel far, and I stay away from traffic roads.
20230624_182338.jpg

Hello all,

I am using the tensioner that came stock with the engine kit. The tube on my bike is non-standard, tightening the bolts would make the tensioner angle toward the wheel spokes, so I have lodged a twig to stop it from doing that, see image.

Will this kill me? I routinely check that those bolts are tight. Also plan on adding loctite. I don't travel far, and I stay away from traffic roads.
I haven't run a tensioner in years now ever since it totally exploded on me with shards of white nylon roller and the bearings flinging themselves in all directions...lol.

Personally speaking, I consider tensioners dangerous based on my experience with them which I can happily say that at least it didn't include caving into the spokes...lol.

Putting a twig in the setup is only gonna spell trouble as it desiccates itself resulting in bike damage, bodily harm, or worse.

I cut my chains down to size in order to fit without a tensioner and also either cut or add links to my pedal side chain to match...Some people need to use half links to do this but I haven't had to do so in my case...This pic below shows my present bike without tensioner on it.

DSCN0229.JPG

I haven't run a tensioner in years now ever since it totally exploded on me with shards of white nylon roller and the bearings flinging themselves in all directions...lol.

Personally speaking, I consider tensioners dangerous based on my experience with them which I can happily say that at least it didn't include caving into the spokes...lol.

Putting a twig in the setup is only gonna spell trouble as it desiccates itself resulting in bike damage, bodily harm, or worse.

I cut my chains down to size in order to fit without a tensioner and also either cut or add links to my pedal side chain to match...Some people need to use half links to do this but I haven't had to do so in my case...This pic below shows my present bike without tensioner on it.

View attachment 194668
Lovely bike, disc brakes on the rear too. I thought that was not possible due to the sprocket but I was wrong.

Ok, I might try to cut down on the chain length too. Maybe it'll work for me without half links.

The twig is a bandaid fix. It won't hold up. I wouldn't ride it like that. There are different style tensioner available. Like arch style and spring loaded ones. Those ones attach differently. They are safer options if you can't get it to work without a tensioner

I agree with Damien, try to go without a tensioner. I'll be doing this to my bike shortly. I do want to include a spring load tensioner, but the only one made for my engine is 50 bucks, ouch.

Back