Chain Tensioner How much of a deathtrap is my chain tensioner setup? (Standard issue Chinesium)

I run the stock tensioner on mine. Took a few tries to get it right, you have to start off kilter so by time it is tight it is in the correct spot. It would be disaster to have it swing into the spokes, so I keep a close eye on it.

I need half links to get the correct amount of slack in the chain. Have to order those. As inexpensive as this hobby is there can be a lot of nickel and dime expenses.
Yup, the little parts really do get expensive on anything. I have a single seat full suspension go kart, and when I went to buy the bolts it cost more than the tires. 200 bucks in bolts to replace every bolt, ouch.

Did you check local auto parts store for half links? I get my chain and half links at the local NAPA

Why is this specifically? My new build bike has them, but I have a couple of bikes with wheels on solid axles I can swap them with.
The ends snap easy and cause some really bad accidents if you aren't careful. Even if they are on with proper tension they have a tendency to break. Axles like that are built for pedaling, not motorizing

True enough. I said I didn't consider it but I did. A little rod about 3/32 holding the show together isn't much. The axle stubs are what carries the weight but still not quite enough considering the forces involved. I don't know how to change that to a more substantial set up other than to gut the whole show.

Back