How to eliminate play in sprocket

madaneerg

Local time
9:53 AM
Just reassembled a coaster brake and the bikes (normal) sprocket has a bit of play in it. When I tighten up the bolts to try to take out the play, I think it makes the whole thing a bit too tight and the wheel seizes.

Two questions:

1. How do you remove the sprocket play?

2. When putting the coaster brake back together, how tight should the nuts be? Is this part just hand tight so the wheel spins?

still need the info

Thanks, read that a few times. Still having a hard time figuring out why so much rotation in the sprocket until it stops revolving.

Out of this article, it does not explain this part well.

When you ask about sprocket play, which sprocket and play in what direction, sorry I'm confused what you are asking...I like Sheldons site also!

fixed it - had to fully understand how the coaster brake worked first. Is back together working fine.

I realized if you remove the sprocket play completely, you'll seize up the wheel, so is a fine line between too loose and too tight. Need it just right.

I assume the sprocket has to turn backwards a bit in order to get the brake pads to expand, so a bit of turning of the sprocket is necessary and if you try to remove it, the wheel will not free spin (from over-tightening the cone)

Thanks for the help

Back