Hust got the bike fixed up + i bought a welder!

but guys. this is a motorized bike forum, if we want to fight over ac-dc (not the band). do it on the welding forum. but hey, im all in for a good argument lol.

but guys. this is a motorized bike forum, if we want to fight over ac-dc (not the band). do it on the welding forum. but hey, im all in for a good argument lol.

You won't see me fighting over welding. It's something I know only a little about, you see.
I won't give advice on how to port a cylinder. Or lay tile. Or frame a house. Or do machine work. Or a thousand other things I might like to be an expert on, but I'm not.

If fact, I have to be about as certain as a person can be that information I'm sharing is accurate before I'm willing to share it.

Although, you did just make me laugh. Back in the 1980s I was a student and I was living among some co-operative education co-workers, one of whom wasn't very bright. In fact, that's being charitable.

I owned a 1960 Bel-Air, and I'd just busted a valve spring racing some guy in a Camaro. I only had a 3-speed with my little 283 and I had come out of 2nd at about 80 mph as I recall. I won my little testosterone fueled street race, but my '60 was limping home. Yeah, who is and isn't very bright is debatable after admitting that. Anyway, this car was my baby, and I was working on her in the parking lot when "Dave" comes by and asks what's wrong. This guy had an 80-something Monte-Carlo that he thought was hot stuff. And he thought he knew everything about cars.
So, I'm working on the car at night, 500 miles away from my true home at the time and uneasy about my car. I hadn't figured out that I'd only broken a valve spring at this point. I was in no mood to be trifled with.

Anyway, Dave comes by uninvited, looks into my engine bay and says, "That thar's the biggest alternator I ever seen!"
I said, "It's not an alternator Dave, it's a generator."
He says, "No, no, I been workin' on cars fer a loong time. That's yer alternator. But is shore is BIG!"

Well, my buddy Mike, who was holding a light for me, told me he really thought I was going to put the screwdriver I was holding right through Dave's head at that moment, as I proceeded to try to explain the difference between AC and DC, and alternators and generators to Dave and tell tell him to leave me alone.

I don't get that angry anymore. At least not that easily, lol.
The idea of "fighting over ac/dc" made me laugh though when I remembered this moment from my youth.
I'm far from perfect. I'll make mistakes. I'll own up to them. I'll beat myself up over them.

But I'm not wrong about the amplitude of AC voltages, nor about anything else I said regarding it.
That said I won't be getting into any arguments here.
It's about the bikes.

And someday, I hope to have the opportunity to learn the art and science of welding. One day, with lots of practice, I might be able to run a bead that looks as nice as Spare_Parts'. At that time, and not before, I might give advice to someone about entry-level welding equipment.

You won't see me fighting over welding. It's something I know only a little about, you see.
I won't give advice on how to port a cylinder. Or lay tile. Or frame a house. Or do machine work. Or a thousand other things I might like to be an expert on, but I'm not.

If fact, I have to be about as certain as a person can be that information I'm sharing is accurate before I'm willing to share it.

Although, you did just make me laugh. Back in the 1980s I was a student and I was living among some co-operative education co-workers, one of whom wasn't very bright. In fact, that's being charitable.

I owned a 1960 Bel-Air, and I'd just busted a valve spring racing some guy in a Camaro. I only had a 3-speed with my little 283 and I had come out of 2nd at about 80 mph as I recall. I won my little testosterone fueled street race, but my '60 was limping home. Yeah, who is and isn't very bright is debatable after admitting that. Anyway, this car was my baby, and I was working on her in the parking lot when "Dave" comes by and asks what's wrong. This guy had an 80-something Monte-Carlo that he thought was hot stuff. And he thought he knew everything about cars.
So, I'm working on the car at night, 500 miles away from my true home at the time and uneasy about my car. I hadn't figured out that I'd only broken a valve spring at this point. I was in no mood to be trifled with.

Anyway, Dave comes by uninvited, looks into my engine bay and says, "That thar's the biggest alternator I ever seen!"
I said, "It's not an alternator Dave, it's a generator."
He says, "No, no, I been workin' on cars fer a loong time. That's yer alternator. But is shore is BIG!"

Well, my buddy Mike, who was holding a light for me, told me he really thought I was going to put the screwdriver I was holding right through Dave's head at that moment, as I proceeded to try to explain the difference between AC and DC, and alternators and generators to Dave and tell tell him to leave me alone.

I don't get that angry anymore. At least not that easily, lol.
The idea of "fighting over ac/dc" made me laugh though when I remembered this moment from my youth.
I'm far from perfect. I'll make mistakes. I'll own up to them. I'll beat myself up over them.

But I'm not wrong about the amplitude of AC voltages, nor about anything else I said regarding it.
That said I won't be getting into any arguments here.
It's about the bikes.

And someday, I hope to have the opportunity to learn the art and science of welding. One day, with lots of practice, I might be able to run a bead that looks as nice as Spare_Parts'. At that time, and not before, I might give advice to someone about entry-level welding equipment.
Well, as i always say, mopar or no car!
But really, thanks for your reply, I never new cars had ac generators!
But if you want to learn how to weld, I reccomend this welder plus this wire and tip
My welds are getting pretty clean after these parts!

Attachments

• 20181117_164840.jpg
    20181117_164840.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 20181117_173706.jpg
    20181117_173706.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 136
  • 20181117_173753.jpg
    20181117_173753.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 117
LOL. No, my car, like many pre about 1962, had a DC generator. With carbon brushes. Basically a big brushed DC motor driven by a belt.
Alternators came along to support the higher amp requirements of the 1960s. New fangled electric motor driven wipers, and hi-fi AM/FM receivers. Power windows. etc.
The DC generators were inefficient and couldn't keep up. And they required brush replacement and regular lubrication.
But this is a story for another forum...

Nonsense. And lots of it. You need to learn a little more about, well, pretty much any subject before you try to speak authoritatively on it.
I'm going with my original theory that you are simply here to troll, and I will quit feeding the troll...
“Intimate Purveyor of Unparelled Knowledge of nothing about everything.” Lol see the troll face in my avatar. I will say your right about the 170 amplitude. My b, But that’s bout it for now.
But if you want to learn how to weld, I reccomend this welder plus this wire and tip
My welds are getting pretty clean after these parts!
not bad. Hold a tighter arc and weave a little bit like a bunch of script c. CCCCCCCC chucke2009 and weldingtipsandtricks can help you out on youtube. Cheers

Attachments

• 188A55E0-F8B6-4401-847F-3F2B34EBB387.png
    188A55E0-F8B6-4401-847F-3F2B34EBB387.png
    930.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
“Intimate Purveyor of Unparelled Knowledge of nothing about everything.” Lol see the troll face in my avatar. I will say your right about the 170 amplitude. My b, But that’s bout it for now.

not bad. Hold a tighter arc and weave a little bit like a bunch of script c. CCCCCCCC chucke2009 and weldingtipsandtricks can help you out on youtube. Cheers
thanks for the tips! ill try them.

Back