Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

I did the same, it’s excellent for making your own length cables

Attachments

• E452E6E2-4017-47D9-B4CA-46A52C7B43EC.jpeg
    E452E6E2-4017-47D9-B4CA-46A52C7B43EC.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 0F25CF7F-CC70-4F7A-860B-D04352618D0D.jpeg
    0F25CF7F-CC70-4F7A-860B-D04352618D0D.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 330C6585-3B0B-4E89-AE5B-75017D09C3C7.jpeg
    330C6585-3B0B-4E89-AE5B-75017D09C3C7.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 182
  • 41633F89-899F-4B54-940A-52A4E54DD39A.jpeg
    41633F89-899F-4B54-940A-52A4E54DD39A.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 258163D4-C7D0-4B07-9A9E-AA9960CB0518.jpeg
    258163D4-C7D0-4B07-9A9E-AA9960CB0518.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 163
Was working on the carb today and it was going great. Up to a 50 slow jet with the air screw about 1 5/8 turns out. The needle is one notch from the bottom. Idles great, revs good but bogs if you rev to quick from half to full throttle. Needs a bigger main jet. Have a 115 in it now and the next size in the kit was a 120. You can see how changing that went in the picture below. Going to let treatland know about it and see what happens. It may have been my fault but I didn't even think it was on the seat. Think I may need the larger jet kit anyway.

Love those fender mounts. I was brainstorming ways to keep it together and was just going to loctite the bottom mount and put fender washers under the tops to spread the load...

This way looks much more secure.

I used the clamps because the brake caliper is in the way. I had planned on building a stronger mount anyway. I don't trust that stock strap at all.

Been messing with the bike again. Have the mount for the gas tank done. They also route the cables and fuel line. Made them from some scrap Delrin I had laying around. Tank goes on tomorrow. Have to take the rear brake, clutch and throttle cables off and only want to pull the carb apart once.

Also ordered some more stuff. My jets will be here tomorrow so I can finally finish tuning this thing. Ordered a set of Maxxis Hookworm tires for it. I like the stock tires but don't trust them considering this is a $90 bike lol. Got a good set of composite tire levers. Have an aluminum set but don't want to use them on these rims. Chain tensioner for the pedal side comes Monday finally. Don't know where on earth my longer axle is (literally). Sure there is something else but can't remember.

Been thinking about getting triple tree forks for it. I'm limited because the head tube is 1"and 6 7/8" long. Found these but they are out of stock right now. https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bik.../22-chopper-fork-1-threadless-disc-brake.html
Looking for more options.

Washers didn't work on my front fender - it still broke the top fork mount right under the washer. The bracket is just toooooo thin and brittle. Bike was getting ready to be sold so I just took it off, but will try the thicker L bracket setup on the Fairmont I am building now (basically a slightly longer and taller Cranbrook).

Love that freaking gas tank setup.

Jets came in. Went from a 115 to a 122 main jet. Still not right. When I go from 1/4 throttle to half and up it sounds like it isn't getting any fuel. Have to do some plug chops. Thing I might start over with the carb, work my way up from the slow jet.

Got the tank mounted today and I'm pretty happy with it. Holds a lot of fuel but haven't measured it yet. The O ring on the cap is leaking a little. It's a sealed cap with a vent tube.

Went out and rode it some. Feels faster than it did even with the carb being out of whack. No leaks from the tank other than the cap which is great. Feels a little different with the tank lower, more stable. Took some pictures while I was out. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back