I know I keep changing my mind...

Toby woodman

Local time
2:16 PM
I've finally decided on my build. its a 6.5hp motor with a cvt and a jackshaft. geared for about 25 mph with all the torque in the world for climbing hills. a 30 series torque converter and lifan engine with 6.5 hp mounted on a custom rear rack. this gives me plenty of space. I know 6.5 hp is a lot for a bike but it's not speed I'm interested in. I will use a jackshaft. here is a photo of the jackshaft as it is at the moment. but both sprockets will be on the same side when I finish it. any suggestions on how to improve it or if you think there's a better option I'm open to ideas.
IMG_4427.jpeg

I think I'll start with the rack, then the jackshaft and then fit the engine. if all that goes to plan then I'll go for the torque converter and it should be a beast.

Plenty of people have built bikes with a 212, I don't think they've geared one that low however. That bike will have a lot of low end torque, make sure you have a very sturdy frame.

im looking for hill climbing as I have a 24% grade to climb up. since the engine is mounted at the back there should be less stress on the frame. do you have any ideas on how to make a rack for the back of the bike

with such a powerful engine. could I get away with running a clutch instead of a torque converter

I'd just build a rack with some 1 inch thick wall tubing or square stock, or get one of the frames with built in rack. You could build it with a clutch, but you won't have as much lo end torque. I'd be easy with the throttle though, or that front wheel will come off the ground.

is that because of the position of the engine or because of the torque of the motor

Back