I want this in my next build

GW's Motorized

Local time
9:22 AM
I have this awesome suicide shifter off an old schwinn bike that I pulled apart for parts. This thing is awesome and I want it in my next build, but I don't know what to use it for. I was thinking I could make it into a headlight switch.
20230427_182655.jpg

I was thinking I could rig it up as a headlight switch.
Or even a manual pull lever to activate a brake light system which would be quite practical I would think.

Giving warning to those behind ya as your slowing or braking can prevent all sorts of minor little mishaps...lol.

Bikes still come with that style of shifter.
Checked out a few, you're right. Ones I saw were still mounted on the steering tube. Couldn't find any on the down tube, probably exist though. Still not as good as trigger shifters.

Checked out a few, you're right. Ones I saw were still mounted on the steering tube. Couldn't find any on the down tube, probably exist though. Still not as good as trigger shifters.
Yeah, most are on the stem these days. My Kent Nazz comes with those stock, and I agree on the trigger shifters.

Yeah, most are on the stem these days. My Kent Nazz comes with those stock, and I agree on the trigger shifters.
There's a guy on youtube who wont shut up about how much he loves friction shifters. He claims that friction shifters are compatible with all styles of bike components. Sure, but I just want to shift through my cassette, not swap my handlebars between 6 bikes.

Edit: he has carpal tunnel and is constantly switching stuff around on bikes. He will even bring a different handlebar on bikepacking trips to stop his hands from getting too sore. For Mr. Path less Pedaled compatibility is a concern. For me, not so much.

I have this awesome suicide shifter off an old schwinn bike that I pulled apart for parts. This thing is awesome and I want it in my next build, but I don't know what to use it for. I was thinking I could make it into a headlight switch.
View attachment 191457
Could use it for a remote choke lever. Use a spring to keep the choke in one position and the tension on the cable moves it.

Back