Idea: 12V eBay motor as generator for lights/accessories

Captain Rainmaker

Local time
8:25 PM
So we all know these China Girls are rather pitiful at providing electrical power for running anything substantial. There are add-ons, like the 12-volt stator coil, but they're only marginally better, providing maybe 6 to 10 watts based on what I've read. This got me wondering if there's a better solution.

If you do a quick search on eBay for "12 volt motor," you'll see it is rife with various sizes of DC hobby motors, for about 20 bucks a pop. Like one of these:

For those who don't know, spinning a DC motor makes it a generator. My thinking is one of these could potentially work really well for powering lights and stuff.

As for how to set it up, I have a couple ideas:
-Shave away some of the clutch cover and drive it from the main flywheel. It would keep generating even when stopped or idling, but could be a pain in the ass to fabricate.
-Put a chain sprocket on the shaft and drive it from the engine chain. It wouldn't generate at idle, but would probably be a lot easier to fab up than the first.
-Friction drive from a tire.

My money tree's looking a little bare, it being the end of the month and all, but I'll probably pick one up next paycheck just to tinker with since they're so cheap. Anyone ever tried something like this?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So we all know these China Girls are rather pitiful at providing electrical power for running anything substantial. There are add-ons, like the 12-volt stator coil, but they're only marginally better, providing maybe 6 to 10 watts based on what I've read. This got me wondering if there's a better solution.

If you do a quick search on eBay for "12 volt motor," you'll see it is rife with various sizes of DC hobby motors, for about 20 bucks a pop. Like one of these:

For those who don't know, spinning a DC motor makes it a generator. My thinking is one of these could potentially work really well for powering lights and stuff.

As for how to set it up, I have a couple ideas:
-Shave away some of the clutch cover and drive it from the main flywheel. It would keep generating even when stopped or idling, but could be a pain in the ass to fabricate.
-Put a chain sprocket on the shaft and drive it from the engine chain. It wouldn't generate at idle, but would probably be a lot easier to fab up than the first.
-Friction drive from a tire.

My money tree's looking a little bare, it being the end of the month and all, but I'll probably pick one up next paycheck just to tinker with since they're so cheap. Anyone ever tried something like this?
Haven't tried it, but interested in the outcome.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So I bought that DC motor and surprise surprise the 50W rating was complete bull. I put it in my vice and spun it with my drill at full whack and the best I got was 1.2 volts. Back to the drawing board.
damn. 1.2 volts? Did you have the meter set right? 1.2 is 1/10 12 volts.

I have a 12 volt "garden drill." The rechargeable battery is very small compared to an 18v drill's big, heavy, clunky battery. Perhaps that would be an simpler solution.

Back