It is officially official- Florida MOTOPED

I stand corrected. Thanks Bruce... I have never had a "shift kit" so I obviously am not familiar with it.

Section 320.01(27), Florida Statutes, defines moped as any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
That sounds like shift kits are prohibited, but your best bet would be to ask a lawyer. The way it’s worded is kinda hard to tell, as I’m not sure what “after the drive system is engaged” is supposed to mean, but I think it means manual clutching is allowed to take it in and out of gear only. Most states don’t consider it manual if you’re only clutching to take it in and out of gear. Either way, I’m sure it doesn’t stop people from installing shift kits on their bikes. And I’m sure a lot of cops don’t pull over bikes with tags to see if they’re shifting illegally. It’s a case where it’s either consult with a lawyer or choose to take the risk, or choose to do neither.

I stand corrected. Thanks Bruce... I have never had a "shift kit" so I obviously am not familiar with it.

Section 320.01(27), Florida Statutes, defines moped as any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
The part where it says “no shifting gears by the operator” sounds pretty clear to me. A transmission that shifts gears automatically is allowed, but I don’t think a shift kit is.

While I haven't check with the DMV or the PD
I think a shift kit is OK on a M/B because ya don't have to use a clutch to shift gears

Back