It is officially official- Florida MOTOPED

So pretty

Now that it's registered as a 50cc, you can swap in a 125 or something, and no one will know? hmmm
In the flat lands of Florida, you won't need anything over 50cc. Pretty sure the Florida moped speed limit is 30 mph. I can hear it now "Oh officer it's just a moped. What do you mean I was going 55 mph?". So unless you're 400+ lbs it defeats the purpose for a larger engine just to do 30 mph.

It was years before Florida came out with RS-68. Which allows a self built moped to using a bicycle frame. Before that the forum was filled with motorized bicycle/police horror stories. All it'll take is RS-68 being abused for it to be discontinued.

For most here we're content with not drawing police attention to ourselves in our state by exceeding the maximum speed allowed for our vehicles.

In the flat lands of Florida, you won't need anything over 50cc. Pretty sure the Florida moped speed limit is 30 mph. I can hear it now "Oh officer it's just a moped. What do you mean I was going 55 mph?". So unless you're 400+ lbs it defeats the purpose for a larger engine just to do 30 mph.

It was years before Florida came out with RS-68. Which allows a self built moped to using a bicycle frame. Before that the forum was filled with motorized bicycle/police horror stories. All it'll take is RS-68 being abused for it to be discontinued.

For most here we're content with not drawing police attention to ourselves in our state by exceeding the maximum speed allowed for our vehicles.
Risky's Ride was built and licensed under RS-68 with a true 48cc engine, and street legal safety requirements. (fully inspected by regional DMV office) The MOTOPED is a stock "moped" and was registered as such (albeit with much educational banter from me to the DMV supervisor). Not sure if LEO will be much concerned with mopeds doing 40MPH (As I witness everyday) and holding up traffic at that speed on our prolific 45 mph roads where the average speed for all including LEO is 55mph. But, I am totally in your corner on the compliance and reckless folks ruining it for others. I work hard to stay out of that category. And FWIIW, the license plates for motorcycles and "mopeds" are identical with no special prefix or series that differentiates them form one another unless as you know, LEO runs the plate and looks at the registration information. That is the reason I have chosen to register and plate all 5 of my bikes, including my 2002 Whizzer pair that have motorcycle titles and plates. (Yes I have my motorcycle endorsement and took the class to learn to ride not just for the endorsement)

Risky's Ride was built and licensed under RS-68 with a true 48cc engine, and street legal safety requirements. (fully inspected by regional DMV office) The MOTOPED is a stock "moped" and was registered as such (albeit with much educational banter from me to the DMV supervisor). Not sure if LEO will be much concerned with mopeds doing 40MPH (As I witness everyday) and holding up traffic at that speed on our prolific 45 mph roads where the average speed for all including LEO is 55mph. But, I am totally in your corner on the compliance and reckless folks ruining it for others. I work hard to stay out of that category. And FWIIW, the license plates for motorcycles and "mopeds" are identical with no special prefix or series that differentiates them form one another unless as you know, LEO runs the plate and looks at the registration information. That is the reason I have chosen to register and plate all 5 of my bikes, including my 2002 Whizzer pair that have motorcycle titles and plates. (Yes I have my motorcycle endorsement and took the class to learn to ride not just for the endorsement)
One can fudge a few things and get away with it. I have a shifter bike. Yet in spite of that I still can't go over 30 mph on level ground. All my shifter bike does is allow me to climb 30%+ grade hills. I've seen many small mopeds having to be pushed/throttle assisted up these hills here.

Yeah, in my state, there are mopeds and motor driven cycles, but the designation for both under vehicle type is MODC. As far as I can tell from reading the instruction sheet (which I’m not saying I’m right), if it’s under 50cc and has an automatic transmission, the main difference is whether it has pedals or not, bikes without pedals require yearly inspection here. But mopeds and motor driven cycles are both given MC plates here, and both says MODC under vehicle type.

One can fudge a few things and get away with it. I have a shifter bike. Yet in spite of that I still can't go over 30 mph on level ground. All my shifter bike does is allow me to climb 30%+ grade hills. I've seen many small mopeds having to be pushed/throttle assisted up these hills here.
NO shifters for Florida Mopeds. Automatic only.

NO shifters for Florida Mopeds. Automatic only.
Unless it is specifically defined as having no shifting ability at all, automatic usually means no manual clutching to shift. It may also mean no helical or planetary gearbox, but a shift kit on a motorized bicycle is neither. The cops have better things to do than pull people over to see if their MB is illegally shifting.

Unless it is specifically defined as having no shifting ability at all, automatic usually means no manual clutching to shift. It may also mean no helical or planetary gearbox, but a shift kit on a motorized bicycle is neither. The cops have better things to do than pull people over to see if their MB is illegally shifting.
I stand corrected. Thanks Bruce... I have never had a "shift kit" so I obviously am not familiar with it.

Section 320.01(27), Florida Statutes, defines moped as any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

Back