Just another Diamond Back

I figure it's time to send my bike this way. These shots were taken at the grocery store where I bought two large cans of Pork and Beans and ten packages of six corn on the cobs cause they were on sale for 69 cents a package. Can't go wrong there. It took two bags and the lady double bagged both of them. It hooked right up to my front hook and came home no problems whatsoever.
One thing I'm so not proud of. When eager to get my bike going I discovered that my front tube was just a tad too big for that front mount. I mounted that included front frame kit and was willing to drill a hole but the remainding clearance around the carby seemed really tight. I really wanted to mount it without that kit,so I took a sledge hammer to that steel frame right to that tube and it did actually narrow it some. Still a no go so I took my grinder and took off some metal till it bolted on. Then the studs were too short and I couldn't find studs but I did find bolts that worked.
I'm not proud of this cause on one side I grinded enough to actually make a little hole. The bolt is covering it so you can't really see it but I know it's there.
Every day I check for any cracking and so far I'm lucky;it seems to be holding up pretty well after about 250 miles of mostly 15 to 18 mph cruising speed. I wonder if this isn't as bad as drilling a hole. Drilling would leave two holes in the tube. I have one.
Maybe I lucked out but I don't even know if I should reccomend anyone doing it this way.
This winter I'm gonna paint it another color. I'm thinking I should leave the engine alone,but I may change my mind once I have paint in hand.
I'll take close ups of that frame where I grinded the next chance I get.

Attachments

• moop1.jpg
    moop1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,266
  • moop2.jpg
    moop2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 656
  • moop3.jpg
    moop3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 467
It's a nice looking machine, Large Filipino.

And I got a kick out of the sheepish way you admitted to using a sledge and grinder. But I'd have admitted it in exactly the same way because I'd have felt a bit silly, too. And I'd have been frightened that I had ruined my bike as well.

But now you've been riding it for more than a year. It's holding up, huh?.
That's fine. I suppose your motor mounts are re-enforcing the weak spot. If there is enough room, I wonder if slipping in a couple of narrow strips of steel or aluminum, top and bottom, would help strengthen things further? I've pondered that on any build. It might be worth a try.

It's actually been less than a year. It would be a year in early September.
Yea I check that downtube daily and no cracks whatsoever. I always check my mounts for tightness before every ride now.
It seems anything you do as long as your not stressing the frame would be okay. I mean the average Happy Time user let's face it. Most of us are poor. We can't exactly run to Lowes every day to pick up that perfect tool that will do it right. Sometimes we have to McGyver it or turn to the Great Mickey Mouse.
THANKS Bluegoatwoods!

Back