Keystone State Loophole???

That bike is shweet! That's something anyone here can appreciate.

Now can you tell us again about this gear box you can buy at the Home Depot?

I bet that's where you get the reduction,huh.

Back in 1986 when I was traveling from New York to Colorado by car I remembered Pennsylvanier as being the only state that did not adopt the 65 mph speed limit. It's good to know they finally adapted.
Watch. When Motoredbikes become the necessity (after scooters which I think will take the crown but anyway) Pennsylvanier may be the last state to adapt but they will mark my words.

I don't know about schweet, but it gets me around pretty reasonably. :D Home Depot has a bare tiller attachment in their lawn and garden section. I think it may be a Ryobi. They also have edger attachments, trimmer attachments etc. The idea is to use one engine for multi purposes. Seems to me it was like $59.95 or $69.95. Actually Honda makes a minitiller with the same engine ready to become a motored trailer for I think $329.99. It is a worm drive gearbox with double shafts basically. The ratio must be about 20 or 25 to one. The box said the output rpm was 300 at 6800 engine rpm, and that sounded like a good place to start. I mounted an 18 tooth #40 sprocket on one of the output shafts and thinned it down with a grinder until a BMX chain would run smoothly. The 6 speed feature is very handy for climbing hills with such a small engne. Today I had it loaded with about 100# of tools and supplies, and made it up a hill that I wouldn't even think about pedalling up.

One thing I discovered that might be of interest to others here is the gearbox seemed to run fairly hot. I tried an old dump truck drivers trick that I learned from an old dump truck driver, and added some STP to the gear box. It cooled it down tremendously, and added a surprising 3 or so mph to my level ground speed. Works good to fight frictional losses, but not recommended for anything with clutch or braking assemblies in the case.

I think they may want to see a registration on the trailer!

Maybe if the trailer was in front then it would be pulling.

....Does Pennsylvanier still have their 55 mph limit?

Only if it is over 1000#. If you can pedal pull a 1000# trailer, you are a much better man than I am. :D

Back