Leaking Carburetor

Jackson_Carnecchia

Local time
5:44 AM
Hey there, so today ( April 13th ) I started my bike and I noticed it wasn’t getting gas. I made sure the gas was on and then I noticed it was heavily leaking from the carb around the air filter. I have no idea what to do. ( also I have an NT carburetor)

Hey there, so today ( April 13th ) I started my bike and I noticed it wasn’t getting gas. I made sure the gas was on and then I noticed it was heavily leaking from the carb around the air filter. I have no idea what to do. ( also I have an NT carburetor)
You either have a stuck carbie float or a float with a pinhole leak in it and is now full of gas and no longer floats...Thats why you see the gas leaking around the air filter...Once you fix that situation, pull out the spark plug and clean/dry it off as it will probably be soaked as well...DAMIEN

I would check the tickler first and make sure it's not stuck in the down position.

It's on the left side of the carb and is a goldish color, When you pust it down it should spring back up.

20210413_220224.jpg

20210413_220217.jpg

Last edited:
These little boogers are difficult to find and costly when you find them. They are notorious for pinhole leaks, making the float sink in your fuel reservoir, keeping the fuel intake valve open so constant fuel flows, going out your air intake. No sealing agent works, including JB Weld. You might get lucky locating the pinhole and running a torched end of a flathead over it and "weld" it shut, but that rarely gets it also. The solution is to buy a brand new, Chinese poor quality carb for $8-$15. Don't play with these floats, they will disappoint you.
Screenshot_20210427-120252.png

The solution is to buy a brand new, Chinese poor quality carb for $8-$15. Don't play with these floats, they will disappoint you.
Actually, the stock Chinese NT carbies, in themselves are really not that bad in themselves, The only real flaw i have found in them is their hit or miss floats. also to make sure that the jet itself is screwed in and properly secured before final assembly while replacing the float.

They work on the same venturi type principle as British Motor Car or British Leyland concept as their SU carbies, where they used twin SUs on their four cylinder machines back in the day...Very simple design that just works and tend to work quite well once they are adjusted properly such as needle valve adjustment, cable adjustment, etc...DAMIEN

I wonder if you could make one from a piece of cork. Fishing supply stores sell cork for making rods and those pieces are already round and a hole in the middle. It's just a matter of sanding them down and reaming them out.

I wonder if you could make one from a piece of cork. Fishing supply stores sell cork for making rods and those pieces are already round and a hole in the middle. It's just a matter of sanding them down and reaming them out.
I wonder if little floaties off the cork would plug up the carb?

Only time I put a solvent on cork is to clean off my fishing pole handle

I would think that getting pieces and flecks of cork residue in the carbie bowl, lodging in places where it should not, would be rather counterproductive...DAMIEN

EDIT...Wrench and I posted the same thought at the same exact time...lol...Great minds think alike...lol.

Back