Leaking Carburetor

Jackson_Carnecchia

Local time
11:44 AM
Hey there, so today ( April 13th ) I started my bike and I noticed it wasn’t getting gas. I made sure the gas was on and then I noticed it was heavily leaking from the carb around the air filter. I have no idea what to do. ( also I have an NT carburetor)

They use to use some type of sealer on the cork, otherwise the cork would just soak up the gas and sink in the bowl eventually after time.

I cannot remember the name of a product they used but If memory serves me right it was an alcohol based product mixed with Shellac that back in the day was the go to thing to seal stuff, Shellacs are still used today most people associate it with to seal fire damaged house interiors or primer coating something like brand new right out of the factory galvanized steal, It's also used as a primer coat for wall's in houses or apartments when the owner smoked cigarettes for ~10~20 years, Its also good for sealing magic marker's on walls.

If I wanted to use shellack to seal a cork float today I would thin the piss out of it (literally thin as piss) and soak it for a month or two and then let it dry for a month or two.

Source:
Me I have been a painter for almost forty years done a wack of sh*t in my trade and made good money doin it.
I shaped a cork and used it on this bike. Temp until the new carbs come. Seems to work, but gets stuck often.

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_082447344_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210501_082447344_HDR.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 85
Hey there, so today ( April 13th ) I started my bike and I noticed it wasn’t getting gas. I made sure the gas was on and then I noticed it was heavily leaking from the carb around the air filter. I have no idea what to do. ( also I have an NT carburetor)
Most definitely your float took on gas and sunk. Just went through that.

Hopefully it's just some dirt in the float valve. Ya never know until ya check, there might be a hole in your float.

Seems be be a rash of holes in floats this past 2 years

Hopefully it's just some dirt in the float valve. Ya never know until ya check, it might be a hole in your float.

Seems be be a rash of holes in floats this past 2 years
Poor QC from China. It's now worth sinking your float overnight in a small cup of fuel before installing the carb. If float saturates with fuel and stays sunk, it's a dud and time for a new carb. It's nearly impossible to find the float, but when you do, it's $5. A new carb is $9.

Poor QC from China. It's now worth sinking your float overnight in a small cup of fuel before installing the carb. If float saturates with fuel and stays sunk, it's a dud and time for a new carb. It's nearly impossible to find the float, but when you do, it's $5. A new carb is $9.

No Quality Control.

Certainly not with the cork. Just take the 2 screws off the bottom of the carb and remove the bowl. Place your float in alittle gas and see if it floats- if not I would have a mind to use a soldering iron to melt it- maybe add some more plastic to is. I did this on a Ford 4.6 intake plenum that was plastic- my heavy foot melted a hole right thru so I melted it into a grid then puddled jb weld on the grid and then I sold it but it worked. Not sure about in weld sitting in gas though? Also a nasal spray container from the dollar store that's emptied and filled with gas can be priceless when messing especially with your needle valve. Good luck

Back