longest ride?

It's a real pain to slime the presta valves on the bike, but the trailer will be getting pre slimed tubes next time. The trailer flats were because there was no tape or rubber to cover the spoke nipples. they would just rub holes in the tubes. Another thing to think about before I leave again.

Awesome dude. You are truly an adventurous spirit; a kindered spirit. I've thought about beefing up my little trailer for long distance higher speed travel...
I had spoke and wheel problems on the Whizzer with .125" dia. spokes. I got used to roadside repairs and it just became kinda routine. every day it was something. I recomend tuffies tire liners, extra thick tubes and 4-ply road tires. Personally I don't much like slime because if you do get a serious puncture it makes a heck of a mess inside the rim/tire, and corrodes the rim fairly quickly. I kinda liked sleeping in the ditch and next to the river on my indiana adventure,I just rolled out the bag and slept under a blanket of stars. Keep on travelin all!!!
Rif

Yeah Slime is messy if that happens.....but I havn't had to repair a tire on a trip in years and since my "Mantra" is QDR, [Quality, Dependability, and Reliability.] I will stick with it.

I know the Wizzer has serious "WoW! factor but I could not ever deal with all the spoke issues that those and the GEBE's have. After seeing chains "pop" on the chain drives those just scare me.

I got used to roadside repairs and it just became kinda routine. every day it was something.

The repairs just became part of the adventure. I almost looked forward to them. It gave me a reason to give the bike a real good once over at night and have the bike all ready to go when I woke up. I was in no hurry to get any where so the time spent on repairs did not matter.
I do use tuffy's on the bike. The flat I did get was through the side wall on a sharp turn I think.
The trialer I use is my daughters old in step kid trailer. Until the wheel fell off it , it was great. When I got home I added some of those ringed pins to the wheel pins and they should not fall off again. I would suggest this to any one who is using an old kid trailer with the detachable wheels

uncle punk, I tell you that I am hooked on bike travel and am going to spend my vacations in the future doing that instead of hunting like I used to. It is the most fun I have ever had on a vacation. Every one should try it at least once.

GEBE's have spoke issues??? Odd I haven't had any.

I thought they were the outfit that sells that disc thing that mounts to the spokes that folks report breaking spokes with. If I have named the wrong brand then my bad. What brand or brands do use those devices?

The repairs just became part of the adventure. I almost looked forward to them. It gave me a reason to give the bike a real good once over at night and have the bike all ready to go when I woke up. I was in no hurry to get any where so the time spent on repairs did not matter.
I do use tuffy's on the bike. The flat I did get was through the side wall on a sharp turn I think.
The trialer I use is my daughters old in step kid trailer. Until the wheel fell off it , it was great. When I got home I added some of those ringed pins to the wheel pins and they should not fall off again. I would suggest this to any one who is using an old kid trailer with the detachable wheels

uncle punk, I tell you that I am hooked on bike travel and am going to spend my vacations in the future doing that instead of hunting like I used to. It is the most fun I have ever had on a vacation. Every one should try it at least once.

Yeah I hear that about the repairs. On my 1905 Mead/Whizzer, it was always something different, but using mostly period components, I kinda expected some of it. I had my morning routine of checks before starting out.
It's funny to me that you mention the hunting- my first motored bike was a broken down 1960's huffy, painted camoflauge, with a 'Zipper' friction drive rack mount set up. It was given to me by a friend who moved out of state and didn't want to take it with him. That was back in 1998. The history of it was that the original owner used it to go out up in the hills to hunt rabbit. I guess he would travel up there to the hils, chain it to a tree, then go hunting... I also knew a guy who used his bike bug (front drive, friction, rack kit on a folding bike) to scout for canoe landing locations, then go canoing, with the bike, and use it to get back to his truck and go pick up the canoe. Just, you know, interesting (I thought), so I thought I'd share.

You will reduce any spoke issues by ALWAYS pedal assisting starts and steep grades. My spoke issues came from bent rim hoops, not the drive ring on the whizzer. As far as the whizzer reliability, Your '08 has had most of the bugs worked out. I was using the notorious first generation WC-1... :)
I live for the long distance runs, and try to get out there every few years as work scheduling permits. In between, I just adventure locally... Have fun y'all!!!

Attachments

• Wyman 2003 014.jpg
    Wyman 2003 014.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Wyman 2003 015.jpg
    Wyman 2003 015.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Wyman 2003 016.jpg
    Wyman 2003 016.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Wyman 2003 050.jpg
    Wyman 2003 050.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Wyman 2003 034.jpg
    Wyman 2003 034.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I had my longest ride to date, 260 miles. 11 hours on the hour meter, 12.5 hours including stops, Lawrence, Ma. to Southwest Harbor, Maine.

Yesterday I had my longest ride to date, 260 miles. 11 hours on the hour meter, 12.5 hours including stops, Lawrence, Ma. to Southwest Harbor, Maine.

Wow... my longest is only like 20 or so miles. My hat is off to you sir.

Back