Looking for a vintage Gas tank

where do you find foamed alginate?

you don't need to use foamed alginate. you can use almost any polyurethane foam. You can get the pink foam insulation from a hardware store and use that. Just tack it together with a couple dabs of wood glue (don't cover the whole surface or you'll have problems when you dissolve out the foam) and carve it from there. Rough out the shape with a hot knife made from an old dc power supply and piano wire and then smooth it out with sanding paper before laying glass. Then just melt out the foam with acetone or something similar. Remember, you'll need to have a way to mount the tank, a place to put a cap and a petcock as well.

This is important though: make sure to use epoxy resin when fiberglassing. do not use polyester. the polyester resin will attack and melt the foam before you have a chance to put it all together. Epoxy resin is stronger stuff anyway. It costs a little more, but it's what you want to make a fuel tank out of in the first place.

Have you looked on Ebay? There are lots of small used motorcycle tanks with a larger/deeper tunnel in the bottom. You'd have a cap and place for the petcock with a whole lot less work.

I tried a 5-star general moped tank (derringer style) and it wouldn't fit on my frame. There was also no easy way to mount it. I looked at a lot of other used motorcycle and moped tanks and realized that no matter what I got I would need to do some work just to get the thing on the bike. Fabricating a tank is the only way to ensure I get exactly what I want, exactly how I want it to look.

Back