Mounting gas tank

graggy

Local time
8:33 AM
I’m sure that people have run into this issue. My rear brake cable run along the top of my bike frame. The outer cable housing stops at a small welded piece on the frame then it is just the inner cable with a piece of plastic on it until it get to another small welded on piece and then it changes to the regular outer cable again. Does anyone have a good solution to mount the tank raised up enough to clear this cable. Or any other ways I can make this work? Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0476.jpeg
    IMG_0476.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 85
I’m sure that people have run into this issue. My rear brake cable run along the top of my bike frame. The outer cable housing stops at a small welded piece on the frame then it is just the inner cable with a piece of plastic on it until it get to another small welded on piece and then it changes to the regular outer cable again. Does anyone have a good solution to mount the tank raised up enough to clear this cable. Or any other ways I can make this work? Here are some pictures
I've never had to deal with it, but I've seen other people that will cut PVC in half, long ways, and put one half over the top of the bar/cables. You then put the tank on top.
This is a very common work around for this situation and usually works quite well...Thank-you for posting this solution to the @graggy situation Wheelie.

How does the pvc not pinch the cable? Wish I could see a picture of that
It's all about getting smaller sized PVC pipe that when sliced down the middle to make half rounds out of it so it just rests on the top bar, not encircling the circumference of the tubing, but simply resting on top of it creating a tunnel for the cables...Just rap some strong tape around it to hold it in place is all ya gotta do.

It's all about getting smaller sized PVC pipe that when sliced down the middle to make half rounds out of it so it just rests on the top bar, not encircling the circumference of the tubing, but simply resting on top of it creating a tunnel for the cables...Just rap some strong tape around it to hold it in place is all ya gotta do.
That makes sense now I think that will work great! thanks

That makes sense now I think that will work great! thanks
A piece of rubber, like old inner tube cut down and glued over the strapped down PVC piping will help the gas tank from wanting to slide around when you put it on over it and fasten it down...DO NOT over tighten those nuts on the gas tank studs as that has been a cause of many a gas tank leak on those stock "Chinesium" Gas tanks...lol.

sg15SHU.png

I'd just use a solid cable,

LIke GW said, just use a new one piece cable housing and route the cable under the top tube, Problem solved

You can even cut off those cable stirrups on the top tube off if they're in the way of the gas tank

LIke GW said, just use a new one piece cable housing and route the cable under the top tube, Problem solved

You can even cut off those cable stirrups on the top tube off if they're in the way of the gas tank
Cables are cheap. It might cost you 5 to 10 bucks more to get a whole new cable set than the pvc

Back