Wheels Love Hate Relationship [wheel bearings]

good for you!

My hint of scooters was a "sly" way of saying "shup & fix it!" :LOL::LOL:

I'm moving this to the Bicycle Repair Forum, since this turned out so well.

VERY nice ride to work this morning...

I think I'll cruise to the beach at lunchtime for a waves check...

Thanks again Dave. Sometimes we all need a good smack, eh?

glad I could help.....:p

seriously... this bicycle repair forum is growing. Thanks for doing the legwork.(tools needed, links & info.)

I am still looking at scooters! But that'll be a new thread....in the White Zone.

Great to hear about your success Mark! My Shimano tools didn't fit, so not seeing how it came apart, I cheated by going from the opposite side. When you mentioned the Park FR-1, I decided to take a look under better light. Sure enough, I was able to make out splines inside the hub below the locknut. This is a Falcon freewheel which I was also able to see under better lighting. The splines are hard to see even with a high resolution picture. I'll be getting the freewheel tool for my next bike tuneup. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• P6270016.jpg
    P6270016.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 228
Sorry gang, but the bike shop guy is wrong, caged bearings are worthless--thats why they wear out quickly. Even if the balls were of good quality they rub on a soft steel cage which wears quickly. When the cage wears the balls become looser, and looser balls means out of adjustment. Out of adjustment means that the chain is pulling on one side of the wheel, so it isn't tracking true and this will lead to the collapse of the wheel.

Adding horsepower to the equation only makes it worse--these caged bearings were made for kids playing around town--maybe 1/8 horsepower or so-- not 2 or 3 hp. 2.5 hp is 20 times the power they're designed for.

George Huffman made an interesting comment once--the bikes they built (Huffy) were built to last 76 miles--D to D. Department store to dump. Compared to the cheaper Chinese bikes today, Huffy's were high class.

cruiser--you probably don't need a freewheel tool if you're just repacking the bearings. There's no need to pull it--just open the wheel from the left side and the bearings will fall through the hub. You can clean and repack the right side with the freewheel on, and although it's tight, it can be done. I do several sets of hubs a week and rarely pull the freewheel (I just tear the cage out if it has one--they're usually worn so thin they just pull out with needle nose pliers).

I have to agree...especially after watching the videos, too. But for now, I'll keep what's in their until I spot a problem, then I'll replace with 1/4" bearings.

Back