Low/High headlight switch wanted (H/Bar mount)

Brad, thanks heaps for trying. I really appreciate it.
I'm going to have serious trouble finding a switch like I want.
Unfortunately, most bikes and scooters have the light on/off switch incororated into the ignition switch, with only a two-position switch for high/low.

Because of the dual headlight setup, I can't use an ignition or other single switch for on/off, or both lights will come on together. Otherwise I could use one on/off switch with two hi/lo switches.

I did a search today and still couldn't find anything suitable.
I'll have to think about another method of switching to control 1 to 4 filaments easily.
I'll probably add some electronics and make a small box with waterproof pushbuttons and LED indicators. (Much more work, but then I'll have exactly what I want.)

Thanks again for your efforts, Brad. I owe you one.

Last edited:
have you tried jet ski or boat shops have seen handle bar mount switches there, what about a on off on switch, i was going to use a 30a switch for a 24/36v setup as it can switch 2 circuits on and off, but u still need to mount it

I'll check out the jet ski idea. Might be lucky.

An on-off-on switch would do if it was 'double-pole', like the double-pole double-throw switch in my diagram above, but with an added 'off' position.
Most on-off-on switches that would be suitable are single-pole.
Good thought though. I considered a bike/scooter indicator switch but they're single-pole too.

Forgot to add, Scootrax, welcome to MBc. I get the impression you're another Aussie, (Woolworths). Where do you hail from?

I see your motor is an MY1018. My generator's a 100W Unite MY series motor, can't remember the model number off-hand.
What power is your bike? (I have a 200W electric, from ZBike)

Last edited:
So, in the end I had to compromise a little. The nearest I could get was a 3-position handlebar-mount switch with, (I think), single contacts, from FancyScooters.

I've got one on the way, along with some spare headlight bulbs.
To get around the lack of double contacts, I added a diode to the circuit as below, so that 'high' powers both filaments but 'low' powers only one, along with a blue LED for a high beam indicator. On 'high' beam, the 'low' filament is powered slightly less brightly than usual, but not enough to be a concern.

Attachments

• New Headlight Switch Diagram.jpg
    New Headlight Switch Diagram.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Back