Engine Trouble Magneto Magnet bolt stripped and broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

will16k

Local time
12:28 AM
What can I do to replace this bolt? I was drill starting the bike and the bolt snapped in half.

Attachments

• 0B2A4AB7-2213-4B5D-9E26-FA9A0F6A170A.jpeg
    0B2A4AB7-2213-4B5D-9E26-FA9A0F6A170A.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 606
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
What can I do to replace this bolt? I was drill starting the bike and the bolt snapped in half.
I would try tapping a hole in the middle of the "bolt" and use a bolt and washer to hold the magnet in place.
That bolt is part of the crankshaft and not replaceable so you have nothing to loose.
Or use some gorilla glue if you want to mickey mouse it. I see you have a missing sprocket cover bolt and
a mickey mouse clamped on cdi which would look better with a zip tie.
The magnets are on tight and usually have to be pried off with 2 flathead screwdrivers so it probably will
not come off even if you do nothing. lol

Last edited:
I would try tapping a hole in the middle of the "bolt" and use a bolt and washer to hold the magnet in place.
That bolt is part of the crankshaft and not replaceable so you have nothing to loose.
Or use some gorilla glue if you want to mickey mouse it. I see you have a missing sprocket cover bolt and
a mickey mouse clamped on cdi which would look better with a zip tie.
The magnets are on tight and usually have to be pried off with 2 flathead screwdrivers so it probably will
not come off even if you do nothing. lol

Yup need a new crankshaft or engine. I don't recommend starting with a drill for this reason.

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I am only concerned with the bolt ( from the crankshaft ) and nut because that was my only way to start the bike. I am running a belt-driven setup, so my only way to start the bike would be to either drill start or to order a pull start, which both still require the nut to pull off.

Any suggestions?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thank you all for your helpful responses. I am only concerned with the bolt ( from the crankshaft ) and nut because that was my only way to start the bike. I am running a belt-driven setup, so my only way to start the bike would be to either drill start or to order a pull start, which both still require the nut to pull off.

Any suggestions?
Post a pic of your belt drive. Is it the T belt kit or home made?
That bolt is Not a bolt.
It is machined out of one piece of metal that includes the crank circle so it is not replaceable.

Post a pic of your belt drive. Is it the T belt kit or home made?
That bolt is Not a bolt.
It is machined out of one piece of metal that includes the crank circle so it is not replaceable.
It is a T-Belt. I am not home right now so I cannot show a picture but it is a standard T-Belt kit. The bolt I am missing in the clutch case was stripped off and still needs to be removed. For now I am running it with two bolts and it is working fine.

It is a T-Belt. I am not home right now so I cannot show a picture but it is a standard T-Belt kit. The bolt I am missing in the clutch case was stripped off and still needs to be removed. For now I am running it with two bolts and it is working fine.
I find it hard to believe that you can not pedal start that T belt drive.
What is the problem?

I find it hard to believe that you can not pedal start that T belt drive.
What is the problem?

Maybe it is possible that it is not tensioned enough. How much play should I have on the belt? I know with chains it is normally good to have around a half-inch.

Maybe it is possible that it is not tensioned enough. How much play should I have on the belt? I know with chains it is normally good to have around a half-inch.
keep tensioning the belt until it starts without slipping. And buy a spare belt.
I doubt if everyone with a T belt can not start their motors by pedaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back