Matty`s 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer

(what you will see in the next few posts is a copypaste dump of an another forum on which I've already started documenting on this build, posts henceforth will be written on this forum platform and will likely make more sense)

This is a project that`s been lingering in the back of my head for years and years but since I don't want to build anything I cannot use in other than restricted areas never went forward with it. That is until I recently learned that if it`s done within a certain set of rules ( <50cc, <1kw, max25km/h assisted) it is in fact totally road legal, and doesn't even require any kind of a registration as in the eyes of the law it is -despite having an internal combustion engine- still considered as a bicycle.

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 01.jpg

This is my starting point, a 24" Jupiter five speed I purchased today for a budget breaking sum of 20 Euros. It`s a bit small but that doesn't matter much as it`ll be cut in two, stretched and modified heavily til I`m done with it. Plans for this project are to, as said, stretch the frame enough to make room for an engine and fabricate a springer style suspension up front. I probly will not make a "drop loop" frame as the engine I will be using is not big enough to warrant one. What comes to the engine I currently have two options. Either I will order one of those motorized bicycle two stroke conversion kits off ebay, take the engine apart and make it right as they`re known to be a bit s**t not even bothering to deburr the canals etc, or take a look at this 50cc kids china ATV engine I happen to have kicking around that has a cracked tranny casing due to a snapped chain and see if I could either mend it or cut it in two and only use the motor part.

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 02.jpg

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 03.jpg

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 04.jpg

Totally in love with the vintage details and the patina of this thing, trying to use as much of the parts originally on the bike to preserve it. And no not going to fret over stuff like it having a non-perioid-correct derailleur transmission as this is a total tongue-in-cheek project since it will not be registered so I can do whatever the f*** I please with it.

Matty's 1910 Oddball Special Boardtrack Racer 05.jpg

Looking at this scene made me pause a little, vividly remembering me asking my younger 4yo son "why would I buy you any new toys as the FIRST thing you do with ALL of them is take them apart?!" Made me go ummm... ;D Well to my defense I DO get most of them back together too AND pay for them myself!

Popping into the hardware store tomorrow for some 2x4:s and fittings to make a crude frame jig.

Oh and sorry for any missing A:s, for some reason the button in question seems to not always work on my garage laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got into a proper flow mode in the garage today, happens super duper rarely. Means I get at least double as much done but always forget to take pictures along the way.

Anyway, this happened:

436655f6f27b434da8.jpg

436655f6f27b442509.gif

Still a lot to be done, holes to be reamed, regular bolts swapped for shoulder ones, welds to be ground, stuff to be polished etc but dang it, IT WORKS! If something the springs are a wee bit on the stiff side but since the finished product will be packing 20-30kg of engine on top of my weight even those should be spot on! There WAS supposed to be domed nuts on top of the poles to ensure a non-destructive way of disassembly but after failing miserably to make threads on top of them I just cut them and threw the thing together thinking I'll weld something onto the ends after the final assembly but seeing how things fall I don't think I need to if I don't want to.

Well not in that color but have some in the garage. And hells no ain't doing that! What an eyesore that would be. The mechanism stays together even when lifted as is, so probly gonna leave it as is.

Just thread it ans add some decorative acorn nuts
I'm sorry if this comes out with undue sass or with an unfriendly tone but did you actually read the text? Because what you're suggesting is the VERY THING I tried and failed at. Not sure if my M12 tread pack has dulled over time or what was the case but no matter how I beveled the ends or what cutting fluids used I just couldn't get the thread to take.

Yo Oddball, your sockets hanging on the wall are out of order. You need to get right on that, capiche?..............cool bike!

They sure are :D Almost never use them as mostly working on motorbikes in the shed where a socket wrench doesn't fit almost anywhere so they've been in disarray for quite a while. I somehow never seem to get to organizing them...

It’s not you it’s me not reading... just looking at pictures. Ok drill out the threads and pin them in or interference fit

Probly adding something later, either retry to thread the ends or possibly file a slot to the side and add something with a set screw. Not in any kind of a hurry to get this done so gonna let it be for the moment and let the inspiration come when it comes.

Back