Mixing Ratio for 2 Stroke Fuel tip for newbies like me.

Scooterduder

Local time
8:00 AM
Just a tip for people that have never mixed 2 stroke fuel before. Buy one of these.... Maxima Racing Oils 10920 Quick-2-Mix Oil/Gas Ratio Mixing Bottle - 20 oz. Capacity :)

61bn5BHYoJL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
My gas can says it holds exactly one gallon, and four ounces, and that works out just right, since it takes four ounces to mix one gallon of gas. I don't bother with the measuring, I throw the empty can on my postage scale, and pour four ounces by weight into the empty can. And half a mothball, then I fill the can with gas. It's the easiest way I know how to mix the fuel. I put dish soap bottle caps on my oil bottle, so I can just squeeze out whatever I need, without making a mess.

My gas can says it holds exactly one gallon, and four ounces, and that works out just right, since it takes four ounces to mix one gallon of gas. I don't bother with the measuring, I throw the empty can on my postage scale, and pour four ounces by weight into the empty can. And half a mothball, then I fill the can with gas. It's the easiest way I know how to mix the fuel. I put dish soap bottle caps on my oil bottle, so I can just squeeze out whatever I need, without making a mess.
Back in 1975 a friend of mine would mix gas and mothballs. He would put the mix in his windshield washer reservoir and run the hose through the top of his air cleaner. Said it gave him a edge on street races. Do you notice much improved performance with your mix, And any effect on engine longevity?

that takes me back - similar mix was sold as nitro-parafin fuel boost

Gas is only slightly lighter. The gallon mark on the can is still 128oz. of water and the 4oz. mark on a measuring glass is 4 oz. of water. Close enough for me.

T
Gas is only slightly lighter. The gallon mark on the can is still 128oz. of water and the 4oz. mark on a measuring glass is 4 oz. of water. Close enough for me.
The comment was made because Green Mantis commented that he adds 40z. oil on his postal scale/ 4oz. by weight and 4oz. by volume are different except in the case of water at STD in the metric system because that is the standard.

T

The comment was made because Green Mantis commented that he adds 40z. oil on his postal scale/ 4oz. by weight and 4oz. by volume are different except in the case of water at STD in the metric system because that is the standard.
I got that, and doing the 4oz weight in 1 gallon volume is closer to 5 oz. per gallon, which is just fine as well. It's just the way he likes to do it. It's easier for him and that's ok. I just do it both by volume cause that is what I'm use to, and that's ok too. I'm guessing the guy knows the can don't have 128 ozs. of gas in it. I mean, it is on the scale.

Yes he is probably around 25/1 or so which is on the heavy side of acceptable but sense the title is (newbies) I think it is a good idea not to add to the confusion by letting fly the allusion that weight and volume are the same.

Back