My HD Hub center threaded axle shaft sticks way out on one side, too short other side

It seems like the HD Wheel should have just come with one sproket on it if that's how it was supposed to work??? I didn't get any instructions to it seemed extremely obvious to put the cassette from my mountain bike rear wheel onto the hub. What else would I do, the chain has to hook up to something.

Now, the idea of removing the cassette is a problem. On rebuild number 14 or 15 I'm not sure which version it was back just before I got the belt drive, I had to remove a cassette (which had been put on as a hack job, little bearings leaking out everywhere, and I had to grind a large chisel down until it fit in and bit on the teeth in there just right) ok so taking off that same cassette was accomplished by applying so much torque that the inner part of the hub just folded and mangled instead of it unscrewing.

I'm not going into those yuppie's at the bike shop and paying $50 bucks and waiting 5 days either, just to get the sucker off. If it comes to having to do that, I'll get out the 12 gauge and have a goodbye ceremony instead cause this has been a long long stupid expensive trip and I'm about to go insane just trying to put a motor on a bike.

7-speed and 8-speed threaded cassettes are available. I swapped my 7-speed to 8-speed on my Staton threaded hub.

Can't you do what biketec said to center the hub?:geek:

If you can get the freewheels off it, I assure you that it is very easy to flip the axle. Remove the nut from one side of the axle, move the nut on the other side of the hub out to the end of the axle and strike it firmly with a hammer (strike the nut, not the axle itself). The sealed bearing will pop out on the other side (There is no "bunch of small pieces"). Flip the axle and reassemble. Easy

Check it out (Post 37): http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7026&page=4

OK Alaskavan, I appreciate the thought you are putting in to helping me with this, I have some stuff going on this morning, but this afternoon I will read the thread and give it a try. I'm sure I'll have more questions to I'll be back on later today probably asking for more help (-:

....i Doubt though, that it will be easy to get the freewheels off both sides.....

It seems like the HD Wheel should have just come with one sproket on it if that's how it was supposed to work??? I didn't get any instructions to it seemed extremely obvious to put the cassette from my mountain bike rear wheel onto the hub. What else would I do, the chain has to hook up to something.

Now, the idea of removing the cassette is a problem. On rebuild number 14 or 15 I'm not sure which version it was back just before I got the belt drive, I had to remove a cassette (which had been put on as a hack job, little bearings leaking out everywhere, and I had to grind a large chisel down until it fit in and bit on the teeth in there just right) ok so taking off that same cassette was accomplished by applying so much torque that the inner part of the hub just folded and mangled instead of it unscrewing.

I'm not going into those yuppie's at the bike shop and paying $50 bucks and waiting 5 days either, just to get the sucker off. If it comes to having to do that, I'll get out the 12 gauge and have a goodbye ceremony instead cause this has been a long long stupid expensive trip and I'm about to go insane just trying to put a motor on a bike.

There are two different ways to put multispeed cogs on a rear hub. The freehub which uses a cassette, and the older freewheel hub which uses thread on freewheels. (see photo) http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ca-g.html#cassette The Grubee HD Hub is of the Freewheel variety and as it comes from Grubee is spaced only for a single Speed BMX Freewheel. It appears from your photos that you have managed to install your 6-speed freewheel on the Hub already? To remove it you only need to buy or borrow a Shimano Freewheel tool. Cost of one of these approx $10.00 at your local bike shop. Put this tool in a bench vise, set the wheel on top of it with the splines of the tool engaged into the inner splines of the freewheel and then twist the wheel counter clockwise. Using the wheel as the wrench gives you tremendous leverage. Then you just buy a BMX freewheel and thread it on.

ocscully

Attachments

• freewheel-vs-k7.jpg
    freewheel-vs-k7.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 802
  • tl7203.jpg
    tl7203.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
A "yuppie" bike shop will most likely remove the cassette for you for free or a dollar or two.
Don't but the tool unless it costs less than they would charge you to remove the cassette.

Turns out I have an attitude problem. They hooked me up GOOD for 35 bucks and did it while I stood there. I've got a bmx sprocket and all the room I need. I'll post a pic eventually.

Also made pregress with my frame mount, haven't been talking about that but the Bike I bout had a little bit too small of a triangle to fit the hua sheng belt drive stuff into. Been going back and forth with it with my brother and law,who owns a custom steel/aluminum fab business and occasionally does favors for family. Well at first he we being a butt about the fact that I sawzalled up the frame trying to get the engine to fit but not we've reached a compromise and he's going to weld me up an aluminum frame, custom motor mount copied off of the one plate that comes with the kit, but all alumnimun and all fancy welded. This thing is going to rock! I'll post pics when it get's farther along. It's hard for me to be patient buy boy is it paying off this time. My first task that my millionaire brother-in-law has me doing is apppropriate. I have to get down on my knees with some abrassive scrub material and remove the paint from the aluminum to prep it for welding. So I'm going to humbly going to get that done right now and have the frame back into the welding shop early tomorrow morning so they can do their magic. This is going to be a cool build (fingers crossed)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on both accounts!
Please post pix of the one off, custom, fancy frame.

Back