My Lighting Project So Far

The strobe will help me be more visible to cars.
In ways you might not even notice until you ride with a daylight high frequency intense strobe for awhile.

Not only do you get everyone's attention and time to judge your speed, there is an equally short time they consider you just a fellow motorist but maybe an emergency vehicle to boot.

If my strobe causes hundreds or even thousands of people to take 3 seconds to not cause me to wreck once or twice in their week is far better than the alternative of them in court and paying my medical bills, so they can live with my momentary 'snap into reality' driver check and I don't get hurt again ya know?

I know I harp but guys a daytime strobe may very well save your life if not some painful and expensive injury and repair costs.

STROBES ARE IN!

@ butterbean; It's Okay.

The important thing is that valuable information has been exchanged. Anyone who reads these threads including myself can make intelligent choices, and save time and money. The truth is its better to learn from someone who's already done it than to figure things out alone.

KC;

U sold me on the idea of a day time strobe. Bikers, motorized and non, have heightened awareness in stop and go areas and on almost every ride I see folks at stop signs, passing me etc. on their e devices and oblivious of my presence. Waving, bell ringing, screaming sometimes works, often doesn't.

My "problem" is my 12 volt power source. It's plenty adequate, but what 12v day time strobes are out there? Separately, is there a similar product that would work with the Shimano gen hub now installed on my non moto recumbent?

Guilty as charged of laziness, but you seem to know these products inside and out.

Thx 4 this, and other posts, which I habitually seek.

Did some wiring modifications. Now the light is even brighter. Probably too bright. I can't budget anymore dough for the bike, and am actually going to put it up for sale, and use the proceeds as a down payment on a truck. Went with out a DL for a period of time. Long enough that it doesn't feel natural. I'd rather race than drive on the streets. Anyway check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=pIvWzM2hsbE&ns=1&o=U

KC;

U sold me on the idea of a day time strobe.
My "problem" is my 12 volt power source. It's plenty adequate, but what 12v day time strobes are out there? Separately, is there a similar product that would work with the Shimano gen hub now installed on my non moto recumbent?

Guilty as charged of laziness, but you seem to know these products inside and out.
Thx 4 this, and other posts, which I habitually seek.
Thanks for Kudos bigoilbob, I try to spend some time helping others when I learn something and an intense strobe is pretty much mandatory even for test rides in daylight now for me and my helpers.

I would think with your 12V system you get a 6V system blinker relay for cheap and put it in so it blinked twice as fast as a regular 12V car blinker but for me anyway this little bugger for <$25 lights me up with attention in front like a '70's disco ball.

There are plenty of sources and other vendors for CREE LED LiIon 4.4A 1200 Lumen or better bike lights that strobe and I have tried many of them but the bottom line is a good front strobe is more likely to keep you from wrecking than the same money for an HD tube & Liner for just one wheel for the same price in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Bicycle-Headlight-Files-Lumens/dp/B006Y1FK18

Mindlessly easy to install, easy to move to the head strap so you have a 'Miners hard hat lamp' so light goes where you look but that is for steady light for the most part as most people wouldn't really like to ride with something that strobes at everything they looked at but darn handy in the dark and what a bunch of EMS people wear now in an emergency or rescue so handy I guess though never used it ;-}

The shop 'every bike' portable test front lamp only needs charged once a week or so and since I started using them not one single 'close call' for me or my staff because we weren't 'noticed' so there ya have it.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Good stuff KC. Especially the regard for your "helpers". IM going 4 the relay idea. Stupid simple, and I can bypass it with another switch at night, right?.

video link not working.

Funny thing that the light gets brighter when the engine revs, and speeds up the bottle generator. I know this headlight will go out soon, but its temporary anyway. Checked the battery today, and its only showing about six volts. That may explain why the tail light is dim (Everything's 12 volt).

Here's anew link, thanks.http://youtu.be/pIvWzM2hsbE

What kind of motor is that, stoltzee? I noticed you started it with a pullstart, and it looked like the pullstart was on the right hand side of the bike, so if im not mistaken, thats no china girl engine.

Its a huasheng 142f. I bought a kit. The video made it sound better than it is. Later after I have all the lights on it, and get the one time registration, and the engines about had it I'll find a different engine. Probably something that has a few more CC's.

Back