My Phantom Experience.

Just something new to share from another member on the Facebook group. He has taken the recommendation to heart about going through his engine and he noticed this issue with the casting of the ports. There is no clear path for the lower ring ends to travel without catching. Hopefully he can get this issue corrected via warranty. This picture also does a great job of showing what I mean by the edges of the ports being finished so poorly.

badports.jpg

You will have to widen the screw holes just slightly to make it work if the intake is larger than 38mm spacing. It's easy though. I just run a drill bit through it on one side( outside of each hole), and it's enough. You will have to have your own gaskets though, for carb side and intake side. @mark20 here can make any gasket but the head gaskets, if you can give him a pic and measurements. I've bought a ton of gaskets off him. He made me my funky weed eater gaskets, and they work better than what I can buy anywhere else. I have a bunch of base, and intake gaskets made by him. Good work and he stands by his work.

PS, those adaptors are so sweet!!! and I was elated when I finally found them.

Now I think of it, you might have seen me mobbing around our area on one of my MB. Iol, I mob up on Sorensen quite often. I ride to the tobacco hut on Ames too. lol
Thank you for all the information and resources. It should definitely come in handy in the future if I decide to go down that path.

There is a chance I have seen you at least once before. I live on the south end of town, but my girlfriend and my work are both up that way.

Thank you for all the information and resources. It should definitely come in handy in the future if I decide to go down that path.

There is a chance I have seen you at least once before. I live on the south end of town, but my girlfriend and my work are both up that way.
Sometimes I ride to Culvers over there off 370 near the base, I'm not sure if it Bellevue yet or still Omaha, but I know you know where I'm talking about. lol, just north of Walmart and Menard's. Funny though, you live south, and work north, I live north and work south ( out by Millard). lol

Sometimes I ride to Culvers over there off 370 near the base, I'm not sure if it Bellevue yet or still Omaha, but I know you know where I'm talking about. lol, just north of Walmart and Menard's. Funny though, you live south, and work north, I live north and work south ( out by Millard). lol
I do believe the Culvers is Bellevue by that point. At the very least you have hit Sarpy. Eventually my girl and I will be living together and I will be much closer to work. Once that happens I could actually use a bike to get to work, which would honestly be kind of nice.

I do believe the Culvers is Bellevue by that point. At the very least you have hit Sarpy. Eventually my girl and I will be living together and I will be much closer to work. Once that happens I could actually use a bike to get to work, which would honestly be kind of nice.
Oh yeah totally left Douglas by that point and in Sarpy. lol. It might be Papillion, not sure, so many small towns got swallowed up. I just call it all Omaha. lol

Oh yeah totally left Douglas by that point and in Sarpy. lol. It might be Papillion, not sure, so many small towns got swallowed up. I just call it all Omaha. lol
Yeah, I kind of do the same and just all it all Omaha. It's like Ralston, the small town that is literally surrounded by Omaha on all sides, but still refuses to be anything other than Ralston. Nebraska folks are weird.

Mild update. I should have my bike hopefully finished by the end of tomorrow, and possibly a maiden ride around my neighborhood or two that night, or the following day otherwise. Had a few snags that required me needing to wait for some parts, mainly the brake cables that I was hoping to be able to re-use were obviously not useable. Worth a shot at least. Also waiting for my GPS Speedo, mirror, and tach to arrive... which should be here tomorrow. Been kind of hectic being able to get anything done with finishing up some classes I was taking. I had maybe a couple of hours a week to work on the darn thing.

I also decided to order one of the "110" engines as a little "backup" side project since I am a glutton for punishment. Not entirely sure what direction I want to go with it. My initial idea was to use the MS380 Piston I have sitting around with it and do a little port work and experimentation by partially opening the transfers up to where the bottom of the piston crown sits and then milling the jug to set the squish gap. Now I am considering maybe using it as a base for an MS660 cylinder. It would be decently suited to the task since the stud spacing of the 110 engines is 60mm, so there is a chance those holes would not have to be filled in order to make it work. The fact that it comes with a 12mm wrist pin makes things easier too.

Mild update. I should have my bike hopefully finished by the end of tomorrow, and possibly a maiden ride around my neighborhood or two that night, or the following day otherwise. Had a few snags that required me needing to wait for some parts, mainly the brake cables that I was hoping to be able to re-use were obviously not useable. Worth a shot at least. Also waiting for my GPS Speedo, mirror, and tach to arrive... which should be here tomorrow. Been kind of hectic being able to get anything done with finishing up some classes I was taking. I had maybe a couple of hours a week to work on the darn thing.

I also decided to order one of the "110" engines as a little "backup" side project since I am a glutton for punishment. Not entirely sure what direction I want to go with it. My initial idea was to use the MS380 Piston I have sitting around with it and do a little port work and experimentation by partially opening the transfers up to where the bottom of the piston crown sits and then milling the jug to set the squish gap. Now I am considering maybe using it as a base for an MS660 cylinder. It would be decently suited to the task since the stud spacing of the 110 engines is 60mm, so there is a chance those holes would not have to be filled in order to make it work. The fact that it comes with a 12mm wrist pin makes things easier too.
So the Ld-110's do have the 12mm pin? or do some have the 10mm as well?

So the Ld-110's do have the 12mm pin? or do some have the 10mm as well?
As far as I know they all have a 12mm pin. I could be wrong, but when looking at the available 52mm pistons they all came with a 12mm wrist pin. The only variations I found were windowed or non-windowed and 2 or 3 rings.

I know they aren't the greatest motors. Design wise, quality wise, etc. I Think the bottom end is a great platform for a saw hybrid though. Since it has a sleeve that protrudes into the case and a 52mm bore, that means it may fit even the 56mm saw pistons without needing any extra work, the much wider stud pattern will also help, and obviously the 12mm wrist pin means the pistons will fit without issue.

OR with the right work they can be brought up to a decent level of performance for what they are. I do like the idea of a lower reving more low and mid range torque oriented iron sleeve engine. A bit of extra "tractor factor" over top end performance.

As far as I know they all have a 12mm pin. I could be wrong, but when looking at the available 52mm pistons they all came with a 12mm wrist pin. The only variations I found were windowed or non-windowed and 2 or 3 rings.

I know they aren't the greatest motors. Design wise, quality wise, etc. I Think the bottom end is a great platform for a saw hybrid though. Since it has a sleeve that protrudes into the case and a 52mm bore, that means it may fit even the 56mm saw pistons without needing any extra work, the much wider stud pattern will also help, and obviously the 12mm wrist pin means the pistons will fit without issue.

OR with the right work they can be brought up to a decent level of performance for what they are. I do like the idea of a lower reving more low and mid range torque oriented iron sleeve engine. A bit of extra "tractor factor" over top end performance.
That is sounding curiously like a 288 to me.

Back