My Squirrelly Gary Fisher Bike

5-7HEAVEN

My friend Hawaii Ed gave me a 1998 bike. It has 21-speeds, cantilever brakes and a 15.5" frame, which is PERFECT for my short legs. I really like to have my feet close to the ground, especially if I motorize it.

This bike weighs 28.5lbs. "The Dragon Lady" weighed 45lbs before it ballooned up to 91lbs with twin engines.:sick:

The bike was rusty and hadn't been ridden for awhile. The tires are pumped to 40psi and holding air. After a LOT of chain lube sprayed on every moving part I've ridden it on grass and sidewalks.

I REALLY like this bike! Thanks Ed!

The handlebar is the straight bar type. The only thing I don't like is how squirrelly and twitchy it seems to handle. Not at all like the slow handling, laid back feeling of my cruiser bikes. If I can't get this bike to handle the way I like, I'll keep it at work for pedalling to McD's and Burger King for lunch.

What can be done to slow down the steering? Cruiser-type handlebars maybe?

Wider handle bars and a longer stem will slow the steering down.
Those cruiser bars are pretty sketchy at slow speeds tho.
If you go by a local bike shop see if they can lend you different stems to try out ( we let people exchange theirs if they don't like them at my shop).

The Final Chapter

I guess all it took was getting used to the Gary Fisher's unique handling.

I decided to leave the bike safely chained at work. That way I can use it to ride two to four blocks to eating places on a regular basis.

I'm also using this bike for daily exercise during my lunch hour. On Wednesday I rode eight miles, which was a bit much. Maybe six miles next time.

The 11-year-old front tire sidewall finally "moused" when I jumped a small curb. Luckily I just bought a 2005 Giant Rincon bike today. I'll use this bike's original tires for the Gary Fisher, then build high-performance wheels for the Giant.:unsure:

Back