Need advice on a stand for repairs

artmaker

Local time
9:15 AM
Hello troops,
Summer is around the corner, and my bike is dead. (Took a fall last summer, motor still runs but not engaging wheel. Pretty sure it's worn out anyway, going to upgrade from 2 stroke to 4, hopefully, but that will be a whole other topic)

I need a good stand so I can work on the thing. What I've been doing for the occasional brake tweek or spoke adjustment is putting a few 2x4s across a few horses, and hoist the bike up on those. It works, but the bike is wobbly. And too much junk in the way.

So… before I tackle installing a new motor and all the stuff that will go with that job, I need a good way to hold this heavy thing up. But every stand I find says up to 44 lbs. Damn bike with the motor is 75.

Bench mount would be ok, again if I could find a sturdy one. Home made would be ok too, but where does one get a clamp? Gotta have some kind of clamp for the frame.
Even wall mount would be ok. (I"d build a wood stand myself. Don't really have wall space.)

Thoughts?

been using this almost 10 years now - heavy timbers for total weight of about 150 pounds so it doesn't shake when I run at WOT

test_bike2.jpg

dunno - I call it my build bench - made it out of heavy lumber ( a lot of 4x4s) used long wood screws instead of nails to stand vibration - about 16inches tall with an upside-down padded bucket at each side so I don't have to bend

That stand you have right where the kickstand is. What is that? Looks like it clamps to the frame somehow. I like the platform. I can do something like that easy enough. Still need something solid to hold the bike steady though. Gotta be able to turn the petals if I need to.

I do my gear tweaking on a cheap turbo trainer, and some of the other jobs on bicycles too, making panniers etc to fit. It's always good to adjust gears on the trainer so the frame is flexed by my bodyweight and cargo.
I have a bike mechanics stand too though I get what you're saying about the weight. I have to remove luggage/cargo bags to get it up on there so only use it for swapping forks and wheels.

I never heard of a turbo trainer. Just googled it. COOL idea!!!! Gees just get the rear axle off the ground, be a great exercise bike, AND be a way to adjust gears, AND even start the motor.
Now… what do you consider "cheap?" Lowest I could find was about 60.00 and they all look like they have some kind of motor on them. Not needed really. Just that frame and a way to attach the rear wheel is all that's needed.
I'll have to do more hunting. But something like that might do the trick. At least for the rear wheel. Might be good enough even for installing a new motor.

what you call a 'stand' is just a tower jack bolted to a heavy piece of wood - I just shove it under the bike to get back wheel in air with 2 front straps to balance it - when I want to run the motor, I hook up all the ratchet straps and jack up the bike till the back straps are tight

I also have a turbo trainer that I got for $15 in CL because the turbo was broken - can run the bike motor on that too, but it is a bit too low for doing a lot of work on the bike comfortably

I might have to design and build something myself. Any "bike stands" I find won't hold the weight. I did look at a rear wheel stand for a motorcycle…. I'm sure that would hold the weight but it's most likely too wide.
Great idea though. Just find a way to support the rear axel. At least that would be a way to tweak gears and possibly adjust the motor while its running.
I'll come up with something.

Meanwhile, whole pile of other issues, no one has answered yet. Replacing motor, possibly replacing whole frame. Anyone want to make a move to this thread?
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/motor-and-other-questions.49548/

Back