New Member - New to the Motorized bicycle world

Hi everyone,

new member here from Mozambique-Africa, have been rebuilding old and some modern cars for many years, always been a fan of any antique project and just yesterday I bought this bicycle for +/- $100 which I intend to rebuild and customize it.. very new to the Schwinn and motorized bicycles world, this is actually going to be my first one. not sure yet where to look for parts in my country but this forum is the best thing I could find to get me starting.

I would like to start by getting the bicycle running before I get on with the motorized part of it, lots of parts are missing.

but first of all I would like to know more about it, how old is it? not really looking for a classic rare bicycle, just need to know what I have and the restoration will definitely move it from being an original as most parts I will get on this part of the world will be from other bikes.

I have this serial number under the frame ( SNHUAOAL31948 )but its a bit complicated to get any accurate info on all websites I have tried.. and I dont have any 4 number digit on the front Logo... any help on this would really be appreciated.

thank you everyone

Attachments

• DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG-20170220-WA0032.jpg
    IMG-20170220-WA0032.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 285
Well... That is one beat down bike... At least the rear wheel appears to hold air under the weight of the bike...

It's a schwinn Stingray. The motor could be anything at all, and being that it's disconnected from the rear wheel and the front tire is not flat but missing you'll have a bit of work before you get to start the engine if it starts (I would not be hopeful looking at it and knowing it was only $100usd....)

Again, plain ol' Stingray, circa 2001 I think, can't remember when they started that style but the parts are rather easily found. If the engine runs outright then it was worth it for just that. A good (not half eaten) Stingray is about 200 dollars on average so in that condition it's possible you still did OK.

To the way you'll get parts in your part of the world... I don't know, I don't see Stingray parts just comming up from the grave in the unites states often, South Africa will be even more difficult no doubt. Try looking up the parts you need for that model, then finding parts that will-do. Good luck!

Hi Frankenstein,

hehehe, yes its definitely beat down bike...and the rear wheel is actually the only think on it that looks in new condition.
the previous owner told me he got that engine new (chinese model) and never started it, he was in the process of motorizing it but because he is leaving the country never got to finish it... not really worried about the engine, I have other bikes that can be used as donors if needed.

the only thing I need to know is that it is an original schwinn Stingray bike and not a chinese copy... and the serial number is not helping.

I have currently stored it and will start working on it in a couple of weeks when I have more time from work, will share more pictures and details of it after I have stripped it.

thanks for the reply and info.

cheers

If it's a copy it will probably use the same parts anyway. As far as a serial goes it probably would be a waste of time to back track it, simply because if it's a clone and they spent the time to put a serial on it then they probably would have just copied a valid serial number from a real bike and got on with business...

Would it being a clone make it any less of a motorized bike? I don't think so. I hope you have a sand blaster that thing's going to take some time to strip...

you are right, it doesn't really matter if its a clone or not .. I have already payed for it and the only way forward is to get it up and running..
everything looks solid on it and will definitely sand blast it, the frame looks really solid, no rust at all...

thx

you are right, it doesn't really matter if its a clone or not .. I have already payed for it and the only way forward is to get it up and running..
everything looks solid on it and will definitely sand blast it, the frame looks really solid, no rust at all...

thx
No problem have fun!

looks like a 50cc motor to me. I would check to see that it's mounted solidly, then put the chain back on and make sure the rear sprocket runs true. the only part it looks like it is missing is the exhaust. I'm sure you could have one made, or make one out of just about any moped exhaust. you just gotta make the exhaust flange out of flat stock then weld the exhaust to it. I wouldn't discredit its potential to run, especially if it's really never been used before

Back