New project idea

92ADCC1A-B599-414C-AD13-71896F4DC604.jpeg
6D78562A-C68B-48C7-B0DE-A8CF73F338CC.jpeg
30E513F9-00E3-4A4C-9BA4-571423267726.jpeg
30E513F9-00E3-4A4C-9BA4-571423267726.jpeg
It has been quite cold so I haven’t been riding my latest full suspension rig a whole lot, but I am very satisfied with it and I am continuing improvements and refinement.

I have a simple but excellent 12V lighting system, with bright lights front and rear. Yesterday I completed my brake light, rigging a bright red led to a simple 12V battery pack (4 AA batteries) to a simple switch attached to my rear brake lever. I soldered a metal spring and attached it to the throttle body with a small zip tie. I soldered a small metal washer and attached it to the brake handle. Another zip tie leads the washer to the spring when I squeeze. Simple and effective.

My financial situation is expected to be much better next year and my thinking is to buy a small motorcycle. But I have one more motorized bicycle idea:

I have a 140cc 4 stroke, taken from a lawnmower. I intend to convert it for horizontal use, welding on a oil slapped and closing and opening some holes. Should be very reliable. Would have to grind the drive shaft down from 7/8” to 3/4” for a chain driving centrifugal clutch.

I just snagged a motorcycle triple tree stem for a few bucks! I have a couple of nice springs that will fit the big tubes needed for the project so I am foreseeing a kind of plunger tube within a tube. I can make that work by chopping a headtube off a derelict steel bike and welding it to a cafe racer frame of my own design.

Researching pieces, I see that motorcycle fork tubes are very expensive.

I’m thinking that I can rig all this up, add all lights and mirrors and get a motorcycle tag. Has anyone done this?

Don’t trust those photos so much. This thing is welded for the Apocalypse - I’ve way over engineered this. Maybe in a few thousand miles a crack could develop, but I can’t see that happening.

I still have so much work to do!

People don't realize the work that goes into a home build until they do it themselves. Looking really good............Curt

That is a great thing to note. Everything about these builds take TIME. Even the kit builders must put in a lot of time. You may be able to bolt a kit onto a bike in 3 hours but you still have things to do. Jetting. Adding disk brakes. Lighting system. Motor mounts.

And building from scratch is much harder. I want a full 12 V system with turn signals and a brake light. Busy busy busy!

That is a great thing to note. Everything about these builds take TIME. Even the kit builders must put in a lot of time. You may be able to bolt a kit onto a bike in 3 hours but you still have things to do. Jetting. Adding disk brakes. Lighting system. Motor mounts.

And building from scratch is much harder. I want a full 12 V system with turn signals and a brake light. Busy busy busy!
Yes it takes time indeed my 79cc wasn't generating spark so I took the engine off my bike. I tested it today and all of a-sudden it has spark again, so annoying and I didn't even install the new coil. I put together a 2 stroke that I'll put on the bike. I want to retap the stud holes for 1/4.

Yes it takes time indeed my 79cc wasn't generating spark so I took the engine off my bike. I tested it today and all of a-sudden it has spark again, so annoying and I didn't even install the new coil. I put together a 2 stroke that I'll put on the bike. I want to retap the stud holes for 1/4.
Sounds like you had something shorted out, kill switch or something.........Curt

Sounds like you had something shorted out, kill switch or something.........Curt
Yeah I actually adjusted it and put the pull start back on but the gap between the coil and flywheel looked too big so I took a business card and adjusted it. Even after that it didn't make spark but today it did, strange.

I don’t think you can drill out a 10mm hole for a 1/4”-20 thread. If possible, go for 5/16” drill and tap. It will make a huge difference.

I don't trust that uni strut as a top tube at all. Sorry man but that frame does not look safe.

Unistrut is strong! I used it on the bike I ride daily and it is unimpeachable. Stronger than any bicycle tube and welds really good. I prefer channel much better than tubes.

Back