New ratio 4G gearbox from Grubee

Im not worried about the alloy ,its nice dense good quality stuff , and I dont ride enough to get it hot , warm maybe .
I replied to RecumbentBills post about how hes waiting for an upgrade kit or a new 4G for his Honda Clone , have you heard if they are going to be available for Hondas? , seems a shame if they arent .

Im not worried about the alloy ,its nice dense good quality stuff , and I dont ride enough to get it hot , warm maybe .
I replied to RecumbentBills post about how hes waiting for an upgrade kit or a new 4G for his Honda Clone , have you heard if they are going to be available for Hondas? , seems a shame if they arent .

Over on the Grubee Corp. web site the indications are that the new changes are available for both systems. Now we just have to see wether or not BirdDog/bicycle-engines brings both systems into the US.

ocscully

They have just arrived in Australia , The importer here didnt get the Honda model tho , I wanted to convert to Clone engine with upgraded 4G . I'd have thought you guys in the U.S would have the new 4GEE by now ,or even sooner .

Hey, anyone know if the freewheel on the 78mm

grubee 4G transmission is keyed to the shaft, or is the shaft tapered.

I am stuck at work with 230 miles on my centermount grubee setup as the bolt spun off the freewheel and now it is freewheel both ways

somewhere back pages ago something about red threadlocker on the freewheel bolt (grumble)

Please help spot find his way out of the woods - I am going to tear it apart momentarilly but wanted a heads up if possible. Birddog is telling me it is tapered, but I don't just want to crank on it to tighten it on their word, I will tear it apart and look for a key if necessary.

Enjoy the ride, otherwise look forward to it again

grubee 4G transmission is keyed to the shaft, or is the shaft tapered.

I am stuck at work with 230 miles on my centermount grubee setup as the bolt spun off the freewheel and now it is freewheel both ways

somewhere back pages ago something about red threadlocker on the freewheel bolt (grumble)

Please help spot find his way out of the woods - I am going to tear it apart momentarilly but wanted a heads up if possible. Birddog is telling me it is tapered, but I don't just want to crank on it to tighten it on their word, I will tear it apart and look for a key if necessary.

Enjoy the ride, otherwise look forward to it again

The output freewheels are keyed to the output shafts.

ocscully

Last edited:
Well I got home

Got a ride, then picked up the bike - thanks, yes it is keyed.

I got a 1/8x1/8 x 1" key at a local hardware store and ground it down to approx. 3/32x3/32 x 1/2 which is what I estimate the keyway size to be. Fits OK and I am out on a test run, seems to go up the hills OK.

Yeah, I know, I could either weld or get a fixed output sprocket. Thing is, I have mine geared REAL low for hills - I am running the 11t to a 56 tooth sprocket believe it or not. I am not in any hurry, but the freewheel going down hill sort of makes up for it.

Well I am hopeful this key will hold at least for awhile. Thinking the steel might even be hardened appropriately coming from a "local" source ha ha

Dang things, why do I keep riding them ? I guess I was wondering about the new Grubee trans, the "2010" one that doesn't have a freewheel but I understand it has the freewheel built into the trans somehow, into the 80 tooth gear ? I wanted to know if this one would fit the HS (Titan).

Anyway, thanks for the reply

Back