New ratio 4G gearbox from Grubee

The Q-Matic that recumbentbill purchased was one of 3 that had the primary pulley made wrong by one of our vendors in CA. And note we refunded his money right away when he wanted to try another system. All other Q-Matics have worked 100%. We have sold hundreds and we are currently having problems keeping up with the orders.

These comments are not intended to sell our drive system, just to keep the record straight as to the quality of our products.

Have fun,

The Q-Matic that recumbentbill purchased was one of 3 that had the primary pulley made wrong by one of our vendors in CA. And note we refunded his money right away when he wanted to try another system. All other Q-Matics have worked 100%. We have sold hundreds and we are currently having problems keeping up with the orders.

These comments are not intended to sell our drive system, just to keep the record straight as to the quality of our products.

Have fun,

This thread is about the 4G. I know you love to quack about your 'Matic, but it really has no place here. It's a non sequitur in this thread, and a blatant advertising plug on your part despite your claim to the contrary. :rolleyes:

Back on topic:

I've put 30 miles on my 4G since I pulled the stock bushing and sprayed the dry graphite lube on it, inside and out. Seems to be working great once it warms up. Still grabby on cold idle, but I think that's just the clutch on a cold drum.

It's always with the quantity sold and how many orders.....shikes don't think I would have the nads to drop in a thread and do that!!

Yes on topic - has anyone actually had oillite bushings made? The use of the dry lube gives me interesting clues.

Last edited:
Knucle Duster what model 4G have you got Mark1 or Mark2? What size drive sprocket and what size rear sprocket and what speed will it sit comfortably at (that means not at peak revs)? Is it a 26" wheel as well?

It's a new "Honda"-style 5:1 ratio 4G, guess it might be Mark2. It's bolted to a HS142F on a stock (10T,30T) SBP shift kit mount with an 18T on S/A 3-speed hub. 26x2.2 rear wheel. Comfortable speed is 12-25 in 3rd gear, top speed is ~30, and it will take off from a dead stop in 3rd. It's geared pretty low for my long-cruise tastes, and I'm running the stock side-exit muffler. "Adjustments" to come. It's positively a joy tho!

Attachments

• Knuckles.jpg
    Knuckles.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
4 to 1

Arent the new 4G's 4:1 output ? , I should have one by the end of the week .

It all depends[i guess] whether its 2009 or 2010. Did your order specify 4 to 1. Nobody here in the states or Australia had the 4 to 1 listed on their web sites . If your order arrives as a 5 to 1 send it back and wait and make sure your next order is a 4 to 1 kit. No dealer that I'm aware of sells the 80T pulley by its self.

It's a new "Honda"-style 5:1 ratio 4G, guess it might be Mark2. It's bolted to a HS142F on a stock (10T,30T) SBP shift kit mount with an 18T on S/A 3-speed hub. 26x2.2 rear wheel. Comfortable speed is 12-25 in 3rd gear, top speed is ~30, and it will take off from a dead stop in 3rd. It's geared pretty low for my long-cruise tastes, and I'm running the stock side-exit muffler. "Adjustments" to come. It's positively a joy tho!
Hey Knuckle, Great looking bike

Attachments

• Knuckles.jpg
    Knuckles.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 258
New 4G

Got the new 4G yesterday and just went for a ride , it works , I think I have dropped my cruising revs about 20% and that means the bike can cruise quite a bit faster , I dont have a speedo at the moment but , it definitly gets up and boogies now .
There are a couple of changes to the construction ,the most obvious is the smaller pulley that is mounted on a one way bearing , also the main body is cast alloy now in one unit , the original 4G was fabricated from flat steel , this of course means its about half the weight . check out the pics .

Attachments

• 100_0737.jpg
    100_0737.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 100_0726.jpg
    100_0726.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 100_0736.jpg
    100_0736.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_0727.jpg
    100_0727.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_0728.jpg
    100_0728.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 100_0730.jpg
    100_0730.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Hey Knuckle, Great looking bike

Thanks! Well, it looks great when it's clean anyway lol.. I thought daily-ridden yellow bikes were hard, but gloss-white bicycles demand a new level of OCD :cry:

Got the new 4G yesterday and just went for a ride , it works , I think I have dropped my cruising revs about 20% and that means the bike can cruise quite a bit faster , I dont have a speedo at the moment but , it definitly gets up and boogies now .
There are a couple of changes to the construction ,the most obvious is the smaller pulley that is mounted on a one way bearing , also the main body is cast alloy now in one unit , the original 4G was fabricated from flat steel , this of course means its about half the weight . check out the pics .

Hey Simon, looks good! The thick Chinese cast alum construction worries me tho. The main body can get pretty dang hot and over a period of time the many heating/cooling cycles will degrade the integrity of the casting, depending on the quality of the alum used. But I could just be alarmist, as I'm merely an amateur metallurgist. The weight savings must be nice, the orig steel unit has some significant heft for it's size. I sure would like to see smaller pulleys made for "Honda"-style 4Gs.

---------------------------

Edit: I was up in the Sacramento area for the last 5 days with my brother and we took our Knuckles with us. 120 miles on my 4G setup since the bushing was lubed with dry graphite. Holding up strong! Only casualties on my 2-week-old build so far have been a suicidal headlight housing and a busted #41 chain. Last time I use that chain on my rig, what a disappointment.

Last edited:
Back