New to Forum

Retroman

Local time
10:26 PM
Hey, I am from Rhode Island. I have an addiction problem and theses bikes seem to have a hold on me right now. I don’t have one and this hobby will be new to me. I’m am 58 years old and pretty handy. I don’t want to restore one. I would like to take an existing new cruiser and make a Whizzerish type retro bike. Is this a newbie thing to do? I definitely want a retro feel. Any other suggestions?

Welcome, Go for it,
Get ya a retro 26" cruiser style bike (old Schwinn) Pick out an engine kit and your 1/2 way there.
I own a Whizzer, Others will have advice on what engine kit would be good for you.
Hold on a sec I'm sure some of the Motorized Bicycle Masters will chime in shortly.

Welcome Retro, it is an addiction. Nothing like riding a motorized bicycle that weighs 45lbs and can go 30mph all day long. Even a m/c doesn't compare, apples and oranges. Plus the fact you built it yourself. You can spend $200 to the sky as a limit.

Welcome, Go for it,
Get ya a retro 26" cruiser style bike (old Schwinn) Pick out an engine kit and your 1/2 way there.
I own a Whizzer, Others will have advice on what engine kit would be good for you.
Hold on a sec I'm sure some of the Motorized Bicycle Masters will chime in shortly.

Thank you. This seems like a great group.

Reinforcing the fender mounts is important. Some good upgrades for a cruiser; Shimano cb-110 rear coaster hub with cnc sprocket adapter, sunlite mountain bike or monarch style Springer forks, front disc or drum brakes and sealed bearing headset for BMX bikes. Husky wheels has built wheels, mbrebel, and the sponsors here. Bicycle-engines.com. People have good things to say about the triple-40 zeda engines.

Welcome Retro, it is an addiction. Nothing like riding a motorized bicycle that weighs 45lbs and can go 30mph all day long. Even a m/c doesn't compare, apples and oranges. Plus the fact you built it yourself. You can spend $200 to the sky as a limit.

Thanks, I have had a few old Vespa scooters. That was fun but I can’t really kick start old scooters anymore. That’s a young mans game lol. This seems like a fun hobby and I love tinkering. I don’t mind spending some money on it as long as there is a method on how to get around the WAF (wife acceptance factor)

Thanks, I have had a few old Vespa scooters. That was fun but I can’t really kick start old scooters anymore. That’s a young mans game lol. This seems like a fun hobby and I love tinkering. I don’t mind spending some money on it as long as there is a method on how to get around the WAF (wife acceptance factor)
As to the WAF, you tell her you're at least going to get some exercise. And, a first time builder always gets some exercise getting his first build started once he has it together. Pedal your arse off bro, it'll start.
How fast do you want it to go? How many hills in your area? A nice 80/66 cc china girl will get you there, they just take a little care before you put the package together. Check your local craigs list or public listings for a cruiser for good bones, they are the most comfy to ride and handle fairly well.

Reinforcing the fender mounts is important. Some good upgrades for a cruiser; Shimano cb-110 rear coaster hub with cnc sprocket adapter, sunlite mountain bike or monarch style Springer forks, front disc or drum brakes and sealed bearing headset for BMX bikes. Husky wheels has built wheels, mbrebel, and the sponsors here. Bicycle-engines.com. People have good things to say about the triple-40 zeda engines.

Thanks I definitely need input on engines. I’m handy except when it comes to engine repair. I am also looking for an engine that has some chrome on it, rather than all black. I have a look I’m going for but do also want a decent bike.

Thanks I definitely need input on engines. I’m handy except when it comes to engine repair. I am also looking for an engine that has some chrome on it, rather than all black. I have a look I’m going for but do also want a decent bike.
id say the easiest/most affordable one to get going is a 66/80cc 2 stroke. as it fits on nearly all bikes. aftermarket parts are unlimited, and for about 80$ you can build a bike that will last forever.

for slow cruising fun, a 4 stoke 49cc is possible on a cruiser frame (that the smallest id go, any smaller and it wouldnt fit)
goes about 30mph and can pull a trailer (i geared mine really low as i go offroad a lot)

heres a few pictures of my 4 stroke criuser when it was new.

friction drive is also another great option, as they fit on 99% bikes.
about 15-68cc depends on the kit, can go about 15-30mph, maintenance is dead simple. and there a blast to ride!

Attachments

• 20190903_193247 (1).jpg
    20190903_193247 (1).jpg
    205 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190904_195942 (2).jpg
    20190904_195942 (2).jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 20190904_195953.jpg
    20190904_195953.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190904_195958 (1).jpg
    20190904_195958 (1).jpg