new toy, way cool, got it running, lots of pictures

I bought a 1966 solex 3800 for $40 at an estate sale. After a day of cleaning and rust removal , I got to the mechanical problems. The front tire was flat and a big bulge in the sidewall. took off old patches an re-Patched the tube and tire with radial patches. Filled the gas tank and it leaked all over. Came to find out that there was no gas line from the tank to the fuel pump. Also found out that the fuel line fittings are 9 mm. Non existent. I had a piece of 3/16 steel brake line with 10 mm fittings. Bought a 9mm die off ebay and cut the fittings down to 9mm. bent the pipe and flared the ends. Twice, cause I messed up the first one. Tried to ride the bike and no start. Got out my drill put a socket on the flywheel nut. Checked the spark with my plug grounded and , no spark. Took off the flywheel cover and can see the points through holes in the flywheel.
Got lucky. Filed the points , sprayed them with contact cleaner. SPARK!!!! Bought a ngk b6hs. Good move.
Put the drill to the flywheel and the bike fired right up. Went for a ride and It ran slow until the carburetor cleared after a half mile or so. Lots more adjusting ,But I just got back from a 5 mile ride. I still need some parts , But not bad for a $45 investment. Here are some pictures.

http://imageshack.us/g/220/img0193xv.jpg/

Back