Nightmare with Golden Eagle (GeBe)

LPisGood

Local time
9:00 AM
Fellow bikers,

I need to vent my frustration with this company. I'm sure there are several happy Golden Eagle customers out there. However, I'm NOT one of them, and I would definitely not recommend that anybody do business with them. Here is my story:

I placed an order for the Robin/Subaru 4-stroke in early July. After placing the order, I talked with a sales rep over the phone about NY state laws and I expressed concern about the legality of motorizing my bike. She informed me that there were several satisfied customers in NYC so it shouldn't be a problem. My worries were somewhat assuaged. I said that I wanted to think about it some more and that I would call back within 24 hours. I also mentioned that if I didn't call back in 24 hours, GeBe should just go ahead and ship the engine. She agreed and made a note to ship the engine in 24 hours unless I called back...fairly simple.

I decided not to call back... I really wanted that engine!

I waited several weeks, but no engine arrived. I finally received an email asking if I still wanted it to be shipped. Apparently they placed a complete "hold" on the order. Even after the conversation and the specific note, they managed to mess it up. So I emailed back and said yes, of course I want the engine.

It finally arrived, but I soon discovered that installation was impossible... they shipped the wrong drive ring. I had ordered the 32-spoke and they sent the 36. I consulted my invoice to make sure I ordered the right part. The invoice confirmed their mistake.

So I contacted them; left a voicemail and sent two emails. They finally got back to me and expressed doubt, asking me to go back and count my spokes again. I reluctantly did for the umpteenth time, and my count was the same. So I contacted them again...waited again. They said they would ship out the correct drive ring... BUT, they billed me for it... 50 bucks! I had to return the wrong drive ring, and pay for shipping OUT OF POCKET, in order for them to remove the $50 balance from my account! This was to correct the mistake that THEY made.

For my inconvenience, they offered to compensate me with an extra kevlar belt. But this, too, was contingent on me shipping the wrong drive ring back to them. What kind of customer service compensation is that? All I wanted was the correct drive ring with expedited delivery...but no deal.

So the RIGHT drive ring finally showed up (at my expense) and I began installation again. This time I encountered new problems. It turned that out my rear axle was not long enough for installation. They don't tell you this, but for most bikes you need a longer axle to mount the engine. So I custom ordered an axle from a nearby bike shop and waited another few days for its arrival. Once I got the new axle on my bike, I discovered that I still couldn't mount the engine unless I drilled and modified the frame. Now, over the phone I had been informed that the engine mount is universal and fits just about any bike. I even made sure to mention the specifics of my bike and they assured me that the mount would fit.

They were wrong.

I tried to roll with the punches a little bit. I had come this far and spent a lot of money. I wasn't going to let the mistakes of one company mess up my dream of motorizing my bike.

So I decided to forget the old bike and set my sights on a new one. I picked out a Marin Coast Trail (a nice, inexpensive ride) and had the bike shop fit it with the custom ordered longer axle that I purchased.

...but lo and behold, the engine STILL wouldn't mount on this bike either!

This was the last straw. My frustration had peaked. I contacted GeBe and asked for a full refund in light of their mistakes and misinformation. It took them two days to get back to me and I was told that there is a 20% re-stocking fee. Which means if I return the engine I lose $125.80! That's before shipping and handling!

I asked them to waive the re-stocking fee in light of their mistakes and misleading statements. Again, I waited several days for a response, so I sent another email. Finally they responded and informed me that they would not waive the fee, even though the engine is unused and in mint condition. (These delays in correspondence were a recurring theme. It was incredibly difficult to communicate with them. I would leave messages and emails, yet it would take days to receive a response.)

So that's pretty much the long and short of it (mostly long...apologies for the rant). Because of GeBe's misleading statements, shipping errors, inadequate compensation for their mistakes, and reluctance to provide remotely decent customer service, I must advise others NOT to do business with them. I am now in the process of trying to sell this engine because I do not want to deal with them anymore and I am unwilling to lose $125.80 (plus S&H) in re-stocking fees.

I have finally cooled off from the frustration of this whole escapade and this post is not out of anger. I post here to save you the time of dealing with the poor business ethics of Golden Eagle Bike Engines. Their product might be worthwhile, but I would never know. I was unable to ever use it.

Best of luck, and all responses are welcome.

ok, then...i'm going to start by saying that it seems everyone pulled the trigger a bit too fast. going on a campaign of "costing folks business" as a goal instead of a result just never turns out right. i'm sure you didn't expect the rabble-rousers, it wasn't anything new for me...and i do believe you're genuinely surprised to see the sensation some folks will cause just because they can.

thank you for getting in here, i wish i'd seen the topic earlier and i wish you'd gotten back earlier.

what i've been asking you to do (then demanding, since only you were going to be able to get things back OT) is to compile some chronological documentation and send it to me...doesn't matter anymore, tho.

so, your intital mistake of not being properly prepared did lead to the rest of the "nightmare"...sorry, but it is true...the rush was on, no doubt in anyone's mind...i was very active here during that time, keeping everone up to speed as best i could, and was counseling several folks thru the forums, PM, and email, about their pending purchases. i'm pretty sure i haven't heard a peep out of any of them about any negative aspects of their GEBE experience...except the wait, which drove us all nuts. yes, some orders (a very tiny percentage) were not complete or correct, but all i've heard until this topic were stories of cheerful resolutions.

LP, it was the absolute worst time to be changing things with an already-active order in golden eagle's system, the moment you requested that the box marked for you was pulled out of line, you took on your share of the responsibility...had you fully researched, perhaps even availed yourself of my services, before clicking "buy", i'll bet you would have simply had a long wait for delivery of the correct parts to a superb system, and you'd be out riding and enjoying it right now. mostly, that seems to be the average experience of the customers who survived the "great gebe wait"...

once you were ready to go ahead with things again, things weren't as they were when you left the line, and cutting back into place apparently caused a problem, and then there was going to me no more nice convo's...the office overwhelmed, you frustrated.

i do know this...when all was said and done, you had an extra belt (a consumable item, and therefore a thoughtful form of compensation from thoughtful people), and i believe a complete and correct order. nevermind the other things you wish you knew about beforehand, let's focus on what you did order. you had everything plus an extra belt. it's my understanding that the math puts you ahead, but if there's a problem there that can be proved, trust that golden eagle isn't out to rip people off for shipping fees.

so, now, you simply want a full refund for return of all of the new/unused parts you have, which you have because of your intitial mistake of not being prepared, altho the resources had been made available?

i'm pretty sure i've heard mention from the office of appropriate restocking fees, which shouldn't be a foreign term to anyone familiar with internet commerce.

i think you have to admit it's time to compromise, LP...it seems this could be over as soon as you see that. perhaps try contacting the office again with this in mind.

i am sorry it's worked out this way, noone set out to purposely spoil this experience this for you.

Last edited:
Augi,

Thanks for responding. I've also sent you an email so that we can continue talking with some privacy, although that probably isn't necessary at this point.

I understand your unconditional support for Golden Eagle. Unfortunately, I think it might be clouding your judgment. My "lack of research" doesn't justify GeBe for shipping me the wrong part. Nor does it entitle them to charge me for shipping the wrong part back to them. It also doesn't make it okay to wait several days before getting back to me... etc. And the compensation offer wasn't at all satisfactory.

You're making it sound as if my initial mistake gave Golden Eagle "carte blanche" on doing haphazard business with me. And I must reiterate...the arrangement was not that complicated. I was assured that there wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I'm going to stop replying to this thread shortly because it really has run it's course. A full refund is all I'm after. But if it's not in the books, I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

Thanks for your response,
LP

email sent...and my bottom line is that i'm sure an RMA could be arranged, but as i stated, it's time to compromise. it wasn't "haphazard" it was "overwhelmed"...everyone was in the same boat...orders that were not placed into an unusual "hold" made it thru just fine...your intitial unpreparedness led to your temporarily halting/pulling the order, and THAT was when and where the mistake occurred. it was like telling the driver to "take the last left before the end of the road"...and then acting as if the driver purposely missed the turn. brother, the bus was packed full, and the driver had no chance with your lousy driving directions.

take your share of the responsibility, something any grown man would tell another grown man...and i'm not saying it to be mean.

email is good with me, if you're ok with it...i'd just as soon be finished with this, too.

EDIT: just got your email...it's called an impasse.

golden eagle isn't refusing to resolve this, but GEBE has a different view of what is fair in this case.

Last edited:
Augi,

I think your analogy misrepresents the issue. And I've already compromised my time and money... a lot of both!

This issue won't be solved via dramatic posts on a message board. The only way to handle this properly is over the phone. I'm going to call Golden Eagle tomorrow. I'll be in touch with you via email if you would like to have a conversation as well.

Best,
LP

well, i think it gets the message across pretty well, actually, and in a lighter manner than some of what we've been tossing at each other...ya threw a wrench in there alright, not any more intentionally than gebe sent off the wrong part...but it still happened.

if you're going to try the phone with gebe again, then i'll declare myself finished with the topic, but i'll restate i am sorry it worked out this way for you. there's no need to copy me, i wouldn't have even come in here if it hadn't been for the tangents. 'luck.

Augidog,

Your continued responses in this thread have been exhausting. I am a GEBE owner, and I'm totally satisfied with their product. But your views, in my opinion, do not reflect well on GEBE, a company I stand behind.

LPisGood started this thread because he was upset. If you look back at some of MY posts on another thread, I was once upset with Bikepartsusa.com. Actually I was ****ed off. I ordered spokes over the phone and paid for them. Then they didn't arrive. I kept getting the runaround. That is upsetting.

It sounds like LPisGood "felt" the same way. He paid his money and didn't get what he "thought" was reasonable service. You cannot tell him what he "felt" was wrong and you cannot completely understand his "thinking".

In almost every post you solicite his "taking part of the responsibility". I think it's absurd to think that you have waded through all of the facts and come to the conclusion that you could even ask such a thing on this forum.

The only fact I can come up with is this... knowone on this forum was THERE during their phone calls and emails. Knowone.

You could tell ME that I should not have ordered parts from Bikepartsusa.com over the phone. When things are ordered verbally you are absolutely depending on a perfect translation of thought to words and back to thought. There is no written record of what you said other than the ordertakers notes in front of HIM. I'm close to 50 myself. So I've been around a few blocks. I knew the importance of a clear, concise order over the telephone and even got the rep to repeat the order back to me.

They still screwed it up.

Should I appologise?

I can't believe GEBE would encourage or condone your getting into a ****ing contest on their behalf. If GEBE accepts orders over the phone then it is entirely reasonable that Lpisgood thought they had an agreement regardless of what you think. Judge Judy would throw your arguments out in a NY second and get some smiles doing it.

When first this thread opened, I heard an upset person bashing GEBE. It didn't bother me that much. If I saw it again and again on a forum I would start to get concerned. But your exhaustive speaches have me siding with LPisGood, whether he is right or wrong. I don't think that was your intention.

To LpisGood,

I'm sorry for your troubles. I agree with others on this post that say you have a fine kit in your hands. After the dust settles, I would suggest that you figure out what doesn't fit and cob a couple of parts together that will solve those issues and just ride. I don't know your bike. I don't know your situation. I do know you are running out of warm weather... I'm in New Hampshire. It was a cold ride this morning!

I really enjoy the GEBE kit. I'm not saying it's perfect... very few things are, but it has brought me to work and back over the summer... closing in on 700 miles without a single problem related to the kit itself. It has been truly reliable transportation for me. So I suggest to you... it's in your hands... put it on your bike and ride baby ride.

Or work it out with GEBE to return it and go buy something else. I do say that your opinions and experiences are valuable on this forum and a little ranting is of no consequence. This is only my opinion.

Happy motoring!!!

Ross

summary to this point - as one Mountainman see's it ----------

dissatisfied customer -- still waiting to be satisfied

said rep thinks customer that did no wrong should be willing to -- COMPROMISE

rep could have killed this thread way back many times --
such as in posts 33
stated by rep - I never promised to make good - I don't know the facts..
that is what is known in business as a -- VERY LAME RESPONSE !!!
a SIMPLE fast way out - so as to move on to bigger things for all if said --
WE WILL GET THIS STRAIGHTENED OUT ASAP - and get you up and running...
at that point it would have been -- DONE -- DONE -- DONE - over and out...

rep is so very darn professional --
he talks about times in which a person had to be able to back up what they say
I say that we should take a LONG MB RIDE TOGETHER - I would love that !

you see -------- I don't beat around the bush
as as already stated in this once said by me -- SAD THREAD
being a business owner from way back
this is what we call a very simple matter in the real business world

now noticed way more that a thousand views of this thread
that is what I have been trying to avoid -- my main thoughts since the beginning
if you don't believe that -- THEN YOU DON'T KNOW ME

I would be VERY SURPRIZED if said GOOD COMPANY
and that is what most who read on this site believe -- Gebe is a good company
took a look at the posts of their rep in regards to this matter
they would have some serious second thoughts regarding ability
to speak on their behalf !!!

known to the common man as a -- HOTHEAD

yes - Ride That Thing -- Mountainman

Last edited:
PLEASE people refrain from posting in this thread unless you have something positive to say. louis

perhaps my views aren't the optimal "customer service" party-line. my views are based on several years of being an internet customer. i do believe in organized consumerism, but i also think a bit of "victimology" is creeping into internet commerce. if i know i've contributed to a problem with a purchase, then i've found that somewhere along the line i'm going to be expected to play (and pay) my part. nothing wrong with trying to get that point across, as i feel that the hard-line in the sand isn't going to help LP achieve any form of satisfaction. there are cases where the customer is completely in the right, those cases require an unconditional "scrambling" by the seller to make it right. golden eagle doesn't shy away from such a situation, most folks know that. so, when we view this topic, we should be pondering why they would be balking in this situation...that should be enough of a reminder to us that we were NOT there for the verbatim phone-calls.

if i was to have to put my finger on the exact moment that the wrong part got sent, i'd say it was when the "if i don't call, then we're still on" condition was put into play. rather than set themselves up to send out $600 worth of merchandise and get a cancellation the next morning, the company did the smart thing...the order was yanked to the side. unforunately, it seems the wrong box (only drive-ring was wrong, that is evidence for my reasoning) was labeled for LP when GEBE tried to re-insert his order into line. i understand that the office didn't ask for return of the wrong ring, and sent the belt out of gratitude for it's return. my opinion-only: trying to personally accomodate LP in the midst of a huge rush is the golden-eagle way, but i guess it was a mistake this time. on retrospect, i believe the order should have been outright cancelled at the slightest hint of hesitation on LP's part.

GEBE's reputation for cheerful resolution should also be factored in, there's too many stories of that to ignore the idea that there's more to the story than the words typed here.

and...i also firmly believe that LP's missing of other important (install) details contributed to his eventual and complete exasperation...when he did have all the right parts in the same place, he still wasn't ready. i think he may be trying to lay this part on GEBE, also...well, c'mon, that's just not fair.

...the OP itself wasn't a bother...it was the ensuing silence and continued "contributions" (read: malicious bumps for views) by those not involved that led me to want to try to re-open dialogue. well, at the very least, i think that's been accomplished.

i do believe that the OP may be expecting too much from the resolution. i'm not the decision-maker, so trying to tie my philosophy in with the office's isn't worth the bother. i know that gebe is poised to immediately affect resolution if a fair agreement can be reached.

EDIT: please note SINCERE conclusion, it should matter, also.
LP, i don't have anything against you, nor do i sit here hoping for a "win"...if gebe was to give you everything you want, it would have no effect on my position or opinions about this matter...i think you're taking a too-hard stance, all things considered.

to me, the tech/mech rep, true victory would only occur if you agreed to have GEBE re-do the math, and promptly credit you for any dangling (extra) shipping charges you may have incurred while the parts-mixup was being taken care of. i'd let (insist) you keep the extra belt, too.

then, when all was calm, i'd make myself available to you to help you affect the best gebe-install possible on yer bike...people can tell you i'm very good at that.

honestly, i wish ya luck...i certainly don't wanna see you spoiled on MB'ing because of this. i do wish there was something i could have done during this series of mistakes on both sides, before would have been better still...but unfortunately it seems you weren't aware of my availability during those times.

fini!

Last edited:
Back