Oops wrong oil

I put 10w40 oil in my phatmoto 4 stroke motor, will that ruin it if it take 30 weight oil?
If you live in a hot climate, 10w40 wont hurt anything, it's actually better on these small engines to switch oils from summer to winter. I run 10w30 oil in the winter & 10w40 in the summer on my small lawn & garden equipment.

If you live in a hot climate, 10w40 wont hurt anything, it's actually better on these small engines to switch oils from summer to winter. I run 10w30 oil in the winter & 10w40 in the winter on my small lawn & garden equipment.
You made a typo when you said the 10w30 in winter and also 10w40 in winter which would be confusing Diesel...I'm thinking you meant to say "10w30 in the winter & 10w40 in the SUMMER"...lol...lol...I have corrected your post to show that.

Below is the reasons why...lol.

10w30 is thinner or more viscous than 10w40 at higher temperatures. What this means is that at higher temperatures, 10w30 is thinner than 10w40.

At lower temperatures, 10w30 and 10w40 perform exactly the same. This means at different low temperatures; they have the same viscosity.

If you are driving in high temperatures, specifically temperatures greater than 90 degrees Fahrenheit, you should use 10w40.

10w40 can operate under a working temperature as high as 104 degrees Fahrenheit, while 10w30 maximum working temperature is 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

10w40 is better suited for hot weather or heavy loads.

When you expect your vehicle’s operating temperature to be higher than most casual driving cars, using 10w40 is recommended.

The higher viscosity of 10w40 at high temperatures reduces wear and tear when putting more pressure on your vehicle’s engine.
10w40 is also a great option for older vehicles.

The increased viscosity of 10w40 holds with the metal to metal contact in the engine and helps prolong the engine’s life.

You made a typo when you said the 10w30 in winter and also 10w40 in winter which would be confusing Diesel...I'm thinking you meant to say "10w30 in the winter & 10w40 in the SUMMER"...lol...lol...I have corrected your post to show that.

Below is the reasons why...lol.

10w30 is thinner or more viscous than 10w40 at higher temperatures. What this means is that at higher temperatures, 10w30 is thinner than 10w40.

At lower temperatures, 10w30 and 10w40 perform exactly the same. This means at different low temperatures; they have the same viscosity.

If you are driving in high temperatures, specifically temperatures greater than 90 degrees Fahrenheit, you should use 10w40.

10w40 can operate under a working temperature as high as 104 degrees Fahrenheit, while 10w30 maximum working temperature is 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

10w40 is better suited for hot weather or heavy loads.

When you expect your vehicle’s operating temperature to be higher than most casual driving cars, using 10w40 is recommended.

The higher viscosity of 10w40 at high temperatures reduces wear and tear when putting more pressure on your vehicle’s engine.
10w40 is also a great option for older vehicles.

The increased viscosity of 10w40 held with the metal to metal contact in the engine and helped prolong the engine’s life.
Sorry Captain! I'm just waking up! 10w40=summer oil, & 10W30=winter oil. But this is my thinking, right, wrong, or indifferent. Thanks for repairs to my post.🤣😂🤣

I put 10w40 oil in my phatmoto 4 stroke motor, will that ruin it if it take 30 weight oil?
If your running what is called "straight weight" oil, meaning it is not multi-viscosity, that the manufacturer is actually recommending only a straight weight oil, then you would want the 40 straight weight oil for summer not an oil that would start thinned out at a 10w.

If your running what is called "straight weight" oil, meaning it is not multi-viscosity, that the manufacturer is actually recommending only a straight weight oil, then you would want the 40 straight weight oil for summer not an oil that would start thinned out at a 10w.
Yeah but the days of running straight weight oil is gone! Like the dinosaurs that produced it!!!🤣😂🤣

Yeah but the days of running straight weight oil is gone! Like the dinosaurs that produced it!!!🤣😂🤣
There are still some recommendations from manufacturers that still call for some straight weights to be used...Not many of them but some, Im sure it is mentioned in his motor manufacturers handbook if this is so.

There are still some recommendations from manufacturers that still call for some straight weights to be used...Not many of them but some, Im sure it is mentioned in his motor manufacturers handbook if this is so.
Yeah I know what your saying, plus you were a billionaire oil mogul back in the day. Everything I own small engine wise, called for straight weight oil, back when they were built. Now to be superseded to a multi-vicosity oil. Plus today some engine manufacturers still want a 30weight oil used for break-in procedures as well, but then switched to a 10w30 after the first oil change.

No, I just worked for the "billionaire oil moguls back in the day", lol...They were known as Valvoline...lol.

Always got me free Nascar tickets, VIP tent all you can eat and drink, and pit passes though...lol.
Yeah I had them same VIP treatments back in the day thru Caterpillar I miss them days!!! But I kinda enjoy my simpler times/life now.

Back