Over 20mph in Tucson...you're a MOPED

If I was faced with a law like that I would change my gearing as to 20 mph is pretty much redlining my engine. I actually can do quite well myself at 12 to 15 mph and if a cop says you were going 21 then challenge it by stating your bike is not CAPABLE of that speed.

What about a 49cc moped? In the street its blocking traffic with a 30 mph top speed, in the bike lane its a motor vehicle cuz it goes too fast. Tucson City Council has some splaining to do. Who do they think they are?

Anyhow?

Last edited:
It is that definition that we want to change (and as citizens we have that rght). That change encourages fuel conservation and cleaner air (both for the public good). Why do you oppose the public good?:D

The change the law using the legislative procedure, but this thread is not about that, it would seem.

I think that what most are upset about is the injustice of it. If you don't put a motor on the bike, and just peddle (or even coast downhill,) the only speed limit is the same one that autos follow.

Suppose you add a small motor, though, in order to reduce gasoline consumption, and to decrease traffic congestion. Then, if you go over 20 MPH (and, from reading the law, it appears that the motor may not even have to be running...) you could be socked with a huge set of fines, (operation of an unregistered moped, an uninsured moped, and possibly, if you don't have a license, operating a motor vehicle without a license.

I agree, though, that the law should be changed using the legislative process. But, I still get worried that if I don't watch it when I'm going downhill, that I could get socked with huge fines.

Not off topic Spun

Anyone who has lived in AZ very long remembers the 1978/1979 tax stamp for legal possession of limited amounts of controlled substances. In order to get a tax stamp you were required to submit an application: in effect giving a written confession to intent of possession of a controlled substance. A "Catch 22". The current MOPED/motored bike laws in Tucson are basically the same thing. A MOPED is fully capable to go only 19 with a 48cc motor, so is a motored bike. Both are also capable of greater speeds. So whats the difference? Tucson has created a "Catch22" with its inane laws.

The current MOPED/motored bike laws in Tucson are basically the same thing. A MOPED is fully capable to go only 19 with a 48cc motor, so is a motored bike. Both are also capable of greater speeds. So whats the difference?

right. that makes more sense to me now.
the difference, in my opinion, is simply.... the pedals.
my guess is that a 48cc honda express with pedals, could be defined as a motorized bicycle, because it is pedal-assisted. and able to be self-propelled. a moped without pedals, even say, 25cc, probably isnt going to fly as a motorized bicycle.

A moped is designed to use the motor first, and pedals as an emergency backup.

Bicycles are designed to peddle, right out of the box, and motors, which assist the rider in going faster/further, are added on, after the fact.

Also, it's NOT just Tucson. The unfortunate side effect of the Judge's ruling in Torque's case is that it set a precedent in the State of Arizona.

By and large, trial courts are not bound to follow the decisions of other trial courts. they can use the decisions for information, however. Even then, if the decision is not published in a reporter (those fancy, matching law books you see behind the ambulance chasers in the commercials), other judges will not even know about it.

Higher appellate courts are never bound to follow the decisions of the lower courts.

What I am saying is this- the precedential value is very little if any at all.

ride that THING at 20 or under

i'm not griping about wanting to go more than 20mph...thats perfectly fine. but getting busted for going just a tad over, and getting another driving under suspension, no ins, no reg., AND impound? thats excessive.

we understand that you are not happy with this information

who would be

unless you are sure that there are no pooolice around

wouldn't want to push it much -- faster than 20 mph

knowing up front -- what may be in store

ride that THING at 20 or under -- so as to ride that THING again

Back