Over 20mph in Tucson...you're a MOPED

I have a 24 mile commute to work (one way) so I'm not a fan of the 20mph speed limit.
That speed limit is to prevent us from running into kids on bikes.
In the suburbs, bike lanes are frequented by joggers, dog walkers and roller bladers (all on cell phones).
I don't think the police will stop you for going 30mph on the edge of the road in an uncongested area.
Rest assured that they will enforce that speed limit in the bike lanes.

I for one, would be happy if NJ had a clear definition of a motorized bicycle with a 20mph limit for no license/registration.

I seriously doubt that local law enforcement would be ticketing people for doing 21. While there is always the chance of a rogue cop being a "Richard", I doubt anything would happen unless the driver of the MB had a "bad" experience with the cop in a prior incident.

I've been buzzing around at 20-24 mph and haven't been bothered. If I were doing 30-35, I'm sure I would have attracted some negative attention by now.

The reality is folks, and NOBODY wants me to be this honest, but the people making the rules do whatever they want, and always have, and fool you into thinking all these little laws, amendments, and exceptions actually matter, when they actually don't, and they use their game (system) to manipulate you for their personal benefit, and falsely lead you to believe you have to play by their game to do anything about it. All while they are laughing at you for playing their no-win game.

That's why their are NO real CLEAR and CONGRUENT definitions to these bike laws in these 50 states. Regardless of how legal you may be, in reality, it's the choice of the cop that determines what actually happens.

Basically they find an excuse to label you or your act as bad so they can charge you with a crime and collect your time and money for themselves. Also, the game doesn't go against it's own, that's why you have folks telling you what to do, but then they do those very same things themselves, but they get no consequences.

For Example:
You got TONS of folks here at MBC saying that you need to conform and comply with the laws, but then they are the very ones that go over 30mph on their bike, all while telling you that you are wrong, or you deserved your mistreatment by the law, and sending you harrassing posts or PM's and claiming you make MBC look bad by going too fast. Just another devils game of putting the light on someone else to take control or appear dominant. (in control)

This may sound harsh, but...........
The reality is, don't get caught, if you don't want to play the game.

I have to face this harsh fact myself.

DON'T GET CAUGHT, or avoid cops like crazy, PEDAL, and drive your speed and locations selectively!

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE EVERYONE!

Last edited:
there it is -- THE TRUE KEY

DON'T GET CAUGHT, or avoid cops like crazy, PEDAL, and drive your speed and locations selectively!

GOOD LUCK OUT THERE EVERYONE!

that's it

when I go through the next town over (known not to like motor bikes)
I go SUPER slow -- and ready best that I can -- to turn motor off

and then again in most places -- wide open country

wide open -- that's a BIG 22.5 mph

so far so good

as I ride that THING

where's that mountainman?

which town is that mountainman? I think you live pretty close by. I'm mostly legal now, but I want to be careful.

the towns to watch out for -- El Cajon -- La Mesa

which town is that mountainman? I think you live pretty close by. I'm mostly legal now, but I want to be careful.

there are actually two near by towns that I have heard to be MB uptight

El Cajon -- one guy who I have talked with a couple of times
had his HT impounded and was given a ticket

La Mesa -- known for strick building permit enforcement and most other laws
apparently have a no MB or scooter law in effect

note -- I do have to ride through both of these towns from time to time
as most of us know
in situations such as these
it pays off at times to
ghost peddle -- hold the noise down
and I have noticed many times now also -- the pooolice do look at the license plate

as we ride those things

Here's an Outlaw with 3 stories going on right now:

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=10583892

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=10583243&nav=HMO6

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=10583892&nav=menu86_2

Suspect eludes Tucson police on motorized bike

By Brian White - email

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) - A man on a motorized bike fled from police Monday night.

According to police, 36-year-old Dameon Zalewski was pulled over by an officer when he made a civil traffic violation at about 5:30 p.m.

The officer making the stop said Zalewski provided false information about his identity so he was arrested.

During the routine search, the officer found Zalewski found drugs, police said. The press release did not specify which kind.

The officer transported Zalewski to the midtown police station and handcuffed him to a nearby bench. While the officer was processing evidence, Zalewski decided to flee.

According to the press release, Zalewski squeezed out of his handcuffs and raced off from the station on his motorized bike.

Police were unable to find him after an extensive search of the area.

The basic fact is that you can't push your luck too far,and should try to stay under the radar. Agreed the laws often make little sense. ZinSaneRyder's attitude is "the whole system is corupt& rotten to the core",so I will just ignore it,do as I **** well please,ride whatever contraption I choose to inflict on other roadusers.If it endangers others,so what,I am a law onto myself& master of the Universe.Clearly that is not a responsible attitude and a prescription for getting the book and/or punitive legislation thrown at us.
I wonder what the Arizona laws are with respect to electric bikes,was it 750 Watt?.those MBs excell at the stealthy game. With the right motor you can get over 20 mile range and over 1 kW (1.4HP) easy, shortterm power, and in conjunction with a multispeed hub or derailleur improved efficiency compared with the existing rather wasteful designs.

Back