P85 cylinder plating issues

neodymium

Local time
12:27 AM
I've been a lurker on the forums since around 2014 when I started with my first ebay chinagirls. I'm decently experienced with these engines as this is my 7th build over the years, but when it comes to the actual science of engine plating and coatings I don't know much since most of my engines were not plated or anything. The phantom is my first "high end" engine build. Usually I buy bare engines and build my own kits with chains and thumb throttle etc. Since I have so many spare parts from all my builds this works best for my usage case.

Now to my issue:

My phantom 85 motor has some chipping in the nickle or ceramic plating and I was wondering how bad this actually is or if I should be really worried. I have already emailed BE.com about this but I'm waiting for a response currently.

I bought the engine on June 10th and I received it two days ago. I was out of town so I didn't have a chance to tear it down until today and check over everything.

The chips shown in the picture were high spots in the plating that when I touched them they started to peel from the cylinder wall. I can actually probably peel even more and make them larger at this point because the coating doesn't seem bonded at all to the walls. I'm not sure how worried I should be about this. Especially since it's on the intake port

Update: bicycle engines.com responded to my email within a day and have started processing the shipment for a new head for me. Let's see how this goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230618_181208316.jpg
    IMG_20230618_181208316.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20230619_005458601.jpg
    IMG_20230619_005458601.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 92
  • 16871543595182533943343646323013.jpg
    16871543595182533943343646323013.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 16871543788772211633845794083712.jpg
    16871543788772211633845794083712.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 77
Definitely try to get that warrantied, especially if you think you can peel more by hand, just imagine what a couple thousand rpms would do to that.

Also why haven't we heard from you sooner? You've been popping in for nearly 10 years, and you just now joined.
I would have joined much sooner but I really don't have much to contribute besides my experiences. You guys all seem to know your stuff and have the knowledge. I do like helping others but I prefer to sit back and let the real experts do the teaching lol. Nothing worse than misinformation being shared as fact.

I really appreciate the knowledge available here and I'm very thankful this place exists because most of my questions over the years have been answered by a quick search here which is amazing in my opinion.

Don't be afraid to chime in. If you do say something incorrect the experts will correct you.

Shoot I'm 16 and I make incorrect suggestions from time to time. I find those experiences educational.
Haha I'm a good bit older than that (31) but you're right about doing what we can to help each other out, and being corrected is necessary sometimes and learning comes from doing things wrong, a lot of the time that's the best way to learn.

If I see anything I can comment on I will try to be engaged in the future now that I've finally made an account to do so. Hopefully I won't have to be corrected too much though lol

I don't comment on certain things because I don't have experience with it.

The best example of this is clutches. My bike is built with a bt80 which has an automatic clutch, so I don't know anything about clutches. On the contrary I can help figure out almost anything that someone is struggling with with thoer bt80. The bt80s wiring can be problematic and confusing, which I have figured out ways to fix.

I don't comment on certain things because I don't have experience with it.

The best example of this is clutches. My bike is built with a bt80 which has an automatic clutch, so I don't know anything about clutches. On the contrary I can help figure out almost anything that someone is struggling with with thoer bt80. The bt80s wiring can be problematic and confusing, which I have figured out ways to fix.
The bt80 is the only style engine that I haven't actually had a chance to play around with honestly. I know people like the electric start, especially older people and people who have issues pedal starting, but I don't really see the need for it in my case. I thought it was a cool concept for an engine but I was already riding down the road with my cheap 49cc chinagirls lol

The main reason I got it was to wire up lights. I ride to school at 6:30 because I have a zero hour class, so wiring lights is a huge perk.
That makes perfect sense. I personally use these types of lights myself since I don't have the external power from my engines. I'm also decently trained on electrical from my past and current jobs so I have wired up 12v batteries in the past with actual moped lights and turn/brake signals etc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230618-212805.png
    Screenshot_20230618-212805.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 90
The main reason I got it was to wire up lights. I ride to school at 6:30 because I have a zero hour class, so wiring lights is a huge perk.
That is a sick bike man. Saddle bags and everything I like it. And those classic cars in the background pretty neat also

Back