Phatmoto

NicoMec

Local time
1:33 AM
I wanted to know anyone's thoughts on Phatmoto for those who have owned one. I plan on buying the Phatmoto Rover and potentially upgrading to a 212cc motor down the road. I also wanted to know if it's possible to put hydraulic disc brakes on them. Thanks

I wanted to know anyone's thoughts on Phatmoto for those who have owned one. I plan on buying the Phatmoto Rover and potentially upgrading to a 212cc motor down the road. I also wanted to know if it's possible to put hydraulic disc brakes on them. Thanks
Is it a brand new one? I don't know if the quality has improved from a couple year ago. One of our long time members snapped the dropout off on one side, and that was with a typical 2t, not a 212.

Mounting a typical cg 2t on a phatmoto would be a challenge. The jackshaft running thru the rear frame tube could interfere with the rear mount on a cg 2t. The frames are essentially the same strength with the difference between at and rover frames being dimensions required to fit the 4in wheels. Otherwise, they're made from the same chinese aluminum tubing...

Personally, i wouldn't try anything with more grunt and vibration than the gx100 honda (or equivalent). But I'm pretty risk-averse when it comes to potential frame cracking.

If a p85 could be fitted it would be fun, tho.

Mounting a typical cg 2t on a phatmoto would be a challenge. The jackshaft running thru the rear frame tube could interfere with the rear mount on a cg 2t. The frames are essentially the same strength with the difference between at and rover frames being dimensions required to fit the 4in wheels. Otherwise, they're made from the same chinese aluminum tubing...

Personally, i wouldn't try anything with more grunt and vibration than the gx100 honda (or equivalent). But I'm pretty risk-averse when it comes to potential frame cracking.

If a p85 could be fitted it would be fun, tho.
how fast you think it could go with the gx100?

how fast you think it could go with the gx100?
With existing gearing, 40mph to 45mph. With cvt and gearing adjustment, 50ish mph. Both being approximation loosely based on anecdotal reports. Better performance from a dead stop, too.
Limiting factors are more about wheel bearings, spokes, wheels and frame - bearings are *cheap* bicycle type/quality, spokes are 12g but awfully flimsy for 12g, wheels are poorly butt welded and frames often crack with the stock lifan 79cc/30mph operation.

With existing gearing, 40mph to 45mph. With cvt and gearing adjustment, 50ish mph. Both being approximation loosely based on anecdotal reports. Better performance from a dead stop, too.
Limiting factors are more about wheel bearings, spokes, wheels and frame - bearings are *cheap* bicycle type/quality, spokes are 12g but awfully flimsy for 12g, wheels are poorly butt welded and frames often crack with the stock lifan 79cc/30mph operation.
would you say its worth to buy the gx100 maybe later down the road after riding the lifan for a little while? I like the phatmoto because it seems slightly more reliable but just would like something thats not too slow.

would you say its worth to buy the gx100 maybe later down the road after riding the lifan for a little while? I like the phatmoto because it seems slightly more reliable but just would like something thats not too slow.
I'd do the honda because it won't be on the ragged edge doing 30, like the lifan - the lifan at 5000rpm sounds very unhappy to me... Honda gx100 sounds like it's right at home at 5500. To me, a top speed of 45ish is perfect. It means i won't be thrashing the engine if i cruise for a couple hours at 30mph. I strongly recommend upgrading the wheel bearings first tho. 6000-zz is the sealed bearing number. Really cheap... Less than $10 for 2 sets.

I'd do the honda because it won't be on the ragged edge doing 30, like the lifan - the lifan at 5000rpm sounds very unhappy to me... Honda gx100 sounds like it's right at home at 5500. To me, a top speed of 45ish is perfect. It means i won't be thrashing the engine if i cruise for a couple hours at 30mph. I strongly recommend upgrading the wheel bearings first tho. 6000-zz is the sealed bearing number. Really cheap... Less than $10 for 2 sets.
if I get sealed bearings how would I go about installing them? Are they just pushed in or do you need a tool for that? I've never used sealed bearings so I wouldnt know

Back