Picked up this at a yard sale, anyone know anything about it?

Local time
10:44 AM
Picked up this motor at a yard sale for 5 bucks. There's no rust and it turns. Everything looks clean, just needs a new primer and fuel lines and the pull start is missing.
There's no markings of any sort
Anyone know hat kind of motor it is just from looking?
if not, where can I get the pull start for this?
And it has some sort of gearbox off the left of it?
And what looks to be a speedometer wire and tach wire, not sure what the wires are. But that's what I'm guessing.
Any info would help. I'd like to make it a pully drive, anyone know where to buy v-belt pulleys for 2 strokes?
Sorry for all the questions, for 5 bucks I just couldn't resist xP

Attachments

• WP_20130420_022.jpg
    WP_20130420_022.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 417
  • WP_20130420_023.jpg
    WP_20130420_023.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 374
  • WP_20130420_024.jpg
    WP_20130420_024.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 403
  • WP_20130420_025.jpg
    WP_20130420_025.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 369
  • WP_20130420_027.jpg
    WP_20130420_027.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 424
Maybe from a self propelled lawn mower? Looks like sumpin off a
homemade '60s go cart? Is that engine cover metal or plastic?

It's plastic. You think it's that old? I'm going to take the "gearbox" apart tomorrow, I'll post pics of it when I do. I'm interested as to what motor it is!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I think Blue nailed it. If the cover"s plastic it's
an early 49 cc. getting it running could be a
real challenge.
I once could have had an old Whizzer engine
for free at an estate sale, but I didn't know what
it was 'til after the fact. Drat!

Yea, that looks like it xP Now I gotta track down the pull start for it! With the gearbox, should be a good little motor. Which it should run, my rule has always been if the motor's not locked up, it will run.

EDIT: Whoa whoa whoa, in that ebay listing it says electric start?? Where do I plug this 12V to test that theory, cause that would be shwweet

Last edited:
It is the terminal I circled in red. This is where the positive lead attaches. Be aware that a lot of people remove the starter/alternator because they tend to stop working, either the brushes need replacing or the coils crap out. Just make sure everything moves freely before putting some juice on the starter/alternator.
WP_20130420_024.jpg

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Thanks! I'll clean the inside before I try it. A 49cc Electric start on my next build would be awesome!

Have any idea to change the toothed gear to a V Belt?

Cleaned everything out, the gearbox had some rust that was taken off by some WD-40 and a wire brush, and the flywheel had some spider webs and junk. Cleaned it all out, sprayed some WD-40 into the cylinder, let it soak, gave it a few turns and let it soak then drained it. Came out clean. Put a few drops of gas and a spark plug in and put a battery to it and the electric start works and it turned over and gave me 2 or 3 revolutions!
For 5 bucks can't beat it!

Back