Pull Start Pull start dependent / repair

james65

Local time
7:05 PM
I use pull starts on two of my bikes. One is standaed so if the p-start fails no problem, as I can bump start it.
However the other is a jackshaft 5-speed and can be pedal (not bump) started if the engine is hot. Even then it is not easy.

I have had several pull starters fail. Main problems are broken pawl and post breaking off. Also had a post break off on a h-duty p-start. I keep spare pull starters on hand, but that is just a new one with the same old weaknesses.

These are the repairs that I have made in hope of improvement and it seems to be working out well.

1. Steel pawl
2. steel post with backer plate

Of course their are other weaknesses pullcord-bushing and cord knot but to a lesser degree.

Attachments

• pull start 010.JPG
    pull start 010.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 258
  • pull start 014.JPG
    pull start 014.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 235
  • pull start 011.JPG
    pull start 011.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 218
  • pull start 015.JPG
    pull start 015.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 229
I thought of getting a pull start for my 66cc Grubee & jackshaft set up, but heard of too many problems with them. I have pretty good compression with this motor, not sure if the pull start would still work. Like you said even with the jackshaft its still pretty hard to start. Where I live I don't have much room to start the bike on our property, so I have come up with an idea to use a bike roller trainer to start the bike at a standstill at home and just pedal my a s s off if I start it away from home. It works pretty good for now.

Attachments

• Tacx roller.jpg
    Tacx roller.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 235
Back