Something is wrong with my motor. Help needed

spirittoo

Local time
5:51 AM
I was riding my bike up a incline suddenly it felt like the rear wheel locked up and cause the engine to died.
When I pull the start cord the back wheel moves.
Here is a photo of the bike in question ....
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/first-and-last-build-d.55395/#post-495500
Here is the engine that I bought.

I checked the oil level and it was fine.

Is the engine shot? What happen? Can anyone tell me? Can it be fixed?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If the pull chord pulls your engine is fine. It sounds like you have an issue with your drive train. Possibly binding in the transmission or drive chain.

When you spin the rear wheel, does your engine turn over?

It sounds like you have an issue with your drive train. Possibly binding in the transmission or drive chain.

When you spin the rear wheel, does your engine turn over?
I'm not able to lift the bike but when I pull the cord the wheel moves so I am guessing that it would try to turn over but it won't continue to run.
Once I find the problem will I have problems getting a replacement part(s)?

Quote:It sounds like you have an issue with your drive train. Possibly binding in the transmission or drive chain.
When you spin the rear wheel, does your engine turn over?end quote.

I'm not able to lift the bike but when I pull the cord the wheel moves so I am guessing that it would try to turn over but it won't continue to run.

Once I find the problem will I have problems getting a replacement part(s)?
You shouldn't have issues finding parts, grubee is a good place to get parts.

Take this off
1692024031088.png

SO you have a bare engine like this
1692024073268.png

see if it starts

if it doesn't take what i circled in red off then try again., this will tell you what you might have to replace.

1692024116208.png

How steep was was the grade on the incline? How many rpm was your engine turning going up this incline?
Not steep at all ... just a small incline in my back yard. The rpm I could not tell you I gave it enough gas to get me up the incline.
Take this off
View attachment 197095

SO you have a bare engine like this
View attachment 197096

see if it starts

if it doesn't take what i circled in red off then try again., this will tell you what you might have to replace.

View attachment 197099
You hit the nail on the head. One of the clutch springs broke and has to be replace. The clutch pads are worn and needs to be replace ... the belt broke and that has to be replace. The problem is grubee states they won't sell parts to people that are not registered. I bought the engine through amazon it is their engine. The best I could do is send a copy of the invoice of the sale, but I don't know if that will be enough.

Is there any place else I can get parts in grubee doesn't sell to me?

61CPQxc1aTL._AC_SL1100_.jpg
clutch is roughly 18-20$ on amazon and if you can read the belt # they useally sell for 10$ also if i remember right.
Not steep at all ... just a small incline in my back yard. The rpm I could not tell you I gave it enough gas to get me up the incline.

You hit the nail on the head. One of the clutch springs broke and has to be replace. The clutch pads are worn and needs to be replace ... the belt broke and that has to be replace. The problem is grubee states they won't sell parts to people that are not registered. I bought the engine through amazon it is their engine. The best I could do is send a copy of the invoice of the sale, but I don't know if that will be enough.

Here's what happened. The pads wore out. The clutch became over heated causing the spring to break. This is what causes the pads to wear out. The engine is being overloaded.

Doing things like not pedal assisting on take offs and going up hills that don't have a gear ratio low enough to climb them. If you're a large person, it can greatly increase the overload effect.

You should get a tachometer/hour counter. The hour counter is useful for maintaining a routine maintenance schedule. Your engine's idle should be around 3000 rpm, clutch engagement at 4000 rpm max torque at 4500 rpm, and max horse power at 6800 rpm.

If at full throttle you aren't at least getting 4500 rpm, then you need to give more pedal assist. Otherwise, you get the results you're having now. A multi-speed bicycle is better for providing a more efficient pedal assist ratio than a single speed will be for a single engine driven ratio. You could also change out to a bigger rear sprocket but will lose some top end level ground speed.

I have a shifter bike, am a large person and live in the mountains. My bike has mutiple engine driven gears. I use my tachometer to shift by. This is the reason my clutch has lasted 13 years. If you want to build a shifter bike we can help you. Then you'll have climbing abilities without sacrificing top end level ground speed.

1000003182.jpg

Back