Looking at helmets.

ImpulseRocket

Staff member
Local time
7:19 AM
Normally I wear my motorcycle helmet when I ride my Phantom, because at 35+mph I want the safety. I may look ridculous, but I'd rather be alive while I look stupid.

With my Explore coming in and it being capable of maybe 28mph if I pedal my heart out, and 20mph otherwise by default, the motorcycle helmet would become a torture device.

I would also like something a bit better than a $20 WalMart helmet to protect me as those are bare bones. Basically, I am looking for suggestion. I have found a couple I do like that I will link below, 2 by ILM with some technology included and one is a MIPS helmet by Giro.

The Giro Helmet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RQY2LS/ref=ewc_pr_img_4?smid=A2HGGP37OJDM3C&th=1&psc=1
My only options are black or white, so Storm trooper it would be. This is probably one of the better sub $100 "basic" style helmets, and it will definitely breathe well.

This helmet is basically a standard helmet but with a built in visor and a rechargeable light for safety (I like the idea). Also the cheapest of the 3.

This is the first ILM. It's got front and rear lights and a visor like the above helmet. I am sure it doesn't breathe anywhere near as good as the other 2, but likely still better than my Bell helmet for my motorcycles. It's built a bit like a motorcycle helmet.

This is my favorite by a long shot. It's basically the above helmet, but also has bluetooth with a speaker and mic built in. I do already own ear buds, but I like the idea of having one less thing to carry with me if I can avoid it. It's a bit over the $100 mark, but I do like the features. It is also built a lot more like a motorcycle helmet than most bike helmets are too, which I consider a plus.

If anybody has any other suggestions, I am all ears. I do want to try and stick to known brands if possible, but I do keep an open mind. My only other requirement is keeping it near 100 bucks or less.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I would say buy once, cry once on the helmet you want. Did you talk your wife into a ebike? Does any of them helmets have 1 to 1 communications?

I tried buying 3 helmets off of amazon. 2 were modular, 1 full face. Somehow, they didn't fit or tick all the boxes for me. Sent them back and no issues getting my money back. If you go this route unpack it carefully and box it back up like new. I gave up after those 3. Decided to just wear my 3/4 and full face. I will get a modular in the future though with my next bike.

The third one is nice, but in my opinion the light options fail or become a PITA after a shore while, like the light on my bike seat.... also check the Ebay link for lower price?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
"This is my favorite by a long shot. It's basically the above helmet, but also has bluetooth with a speaker and mic built in. I do already own ear buds, but I like the idea of having one less thing to carry with me if I can avoid it. It's a bit over the $100 mark, but I do like the features. It is also built a lot more like a motorcycle helmet than most bike helmets are too, which I consider a plus."

Just my take. You/I need all of our senses to be safe on 2 wheels. Hearing a car or other potential threat is critical to being safe as you can.

This helmet is basically a standard helmet but with a built in visor and a rechargeable light for safety (I like the idea). Also the cheapest of the 3.
Amazon.com
Hope you aren't like me. I have a very large head (65mm). This limits me greatly in the selection of bicycle helmets.
This is the exact helmet I have been using myself for the last few years...I haven't crashed yet so I can't tell you how great the protection might be...lol...lol.

I love the visor for how the sun hits ya at just that right angle in the morning...lol...lol.

It has great ventilation so your head doesn't get all sweated up even in the summer heat.

I do find it quite comfortable though, especially since you are able to adjust it inside the helmet for your particular head size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6J2FM29/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3KH2VOOVJSRI5&th=1&psc=1

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This is the exact helmut I have been using myself for the last few years...I haven't crashed yet so I can't tell you how great the protection might be...lol...lol.

I do find it quite comfortable though, especially since you are able to adjust it inside the helmut for your particular head size.
If it weren't for your eye problem, I'd make a comment about the spelling..but I'm not gonna....lol..

Back